Brutal Heat & Humidity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
35 degrees Celsius is brutal? Jeez, I'll take that any day of the week! Only got to 15C (about 59F) here today, that's way too cold for my liking.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I"m not a scientist; is that hot?

Scientists don't use the F-word.

well said, and just for that i'll run those temps through a quick conversion to Dungarees Science: in RED

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Currently at The Casa:

Outdoor ambient: 96°F 35.5°C
Outdoor Dew Point: 81°F 27.2°C
Outdoor Rh: 62% (down from 82% this morning...)
Wind: 4.82kph
Solar Radiation level: 600W/M^2
Heat Index: 119°F 48.3°C
Solar Heat Index: 131°F 55°C

Holy Cow !!

I'll bet it's cooler at the Texas Gulf Beach...

Fortunately indoors:

Temp: 77°F 25°C
RH: 44%

Ok, thats hot.

Unseasonally cool here right now (about 30 C) though the humidity is about the same. Just come back from a picnic which was quite pleasant under shade trees.

They don't seem to report a solar heat index from a quick look, but the UV index has been around 9

Last edited:
I also was working out side in that yesterday (Near Clifton, TX).

Adding solar heat index REALLY drives up the need to hydrate.

I soaked a shirt in 5 minutes flat!

In layman's terms, you could say that's hotter than a tin outhouse.

I'll bet it's cooler at the Texas Gulf Beach...

The heat and humidity has been so bad here the past couple of days it's literally hard to breathe! Feels like you're walking around in a sauna.

Originally Posted By: car51
Wish I was still in Corpus Christi TX.

It's beautiful there!! My aunt,uncle,and cousins live in Rockport,which is about 30 miles north of Corpus. I spent half of my childhood growing up there. Good days!!

Also a recommendation to buy some dry-wick type shirts and shorts to wear.

I live in that material most of the year here, it really works well.

Costco and walmart have material that is very similar to the $$$ underarmour shirts.

I try not to wear too much cotton it just soaks up the sweat.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: car51
Wish I was still in Corpus Christi TX.

It's beautiful there!! My aunt,uncle,and cousins live in Rockport,which is about 30 miles north of Corpus. I spent half of my childhood growing up there. Good days!!

It wasn't until the final semester of my senior year of high school the CCISD banned halter tops & ultra-short shorts for girls, deeming them "Too distracting for the classroom environment".

Never had to stare out a classroom window when bored except for cold weather.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
It wasn't until the final semester of my senior year of high school the CCISD banned halter tops & ultra-short shorts for girls, deeming them "Too distracting for the classroom environment".

Never had to stare out a classroom window when bored except for cold weather.

I would've been totally drooling all over myself haha
cheers3.gif
10.gif

I hate the humidity. Oh, how I hate it so much. I don't do well in humid weather. I sweat like I'm getting rained on.

Heat? Humidity? Ha. There's a painting in the NO Museum of Art of several Indians trudging along a path through a bayou. Something about their weary, drooping body language says they were thinking: "Only 300 years until air conditioning!"

I truly believe that people didn't willingly move to the southern tier of the country until A/C became widespread. I'm sure they did it, for work or retirement or other reasons; but I'm also sure they regretted it when summer came along and they had only fans in their houses.

"Gold Bond Powder is your friend in hot weather...like 10,000 little ice angels blowing cool air on your skin."

Maybe in Cincinnati. In Da Swamp, we rely on the Holy Trinity: Carrier, Fedders, and Sears Coldspot.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I truly believe that people didn't willingly move to the southern tier of the country until A/C became widespread. I'm sure they did it, for work or retirement or other reasons; but I'm also sure they regretted it when summer came along and they had only fans in their houses.
I grew up in Houston during the 60's. We always had A/C but not the grandparents on the coast. Just fans. Cars didn't have A/C until later on.

Both NO & Galveston were major ports. The Big One wiped out the later, then the Houston Ship Channel was dug and there went most of the business.

We regularly went fishing & crabing. My favorite part was the boat ride as it was cool(er). My old man & his father would just bake in the H&H for hours and not complain. I just withered. I was miserable. Looking back at my fire red face in the photos was a sure indication I had heat exhaustion. Whenever I see a kid like that now, I immediately tell the parents.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I grew up in Houston during the 60's. We always had A/C but not the grandparents on the coast. Just fans. Cars didn't have A/C until later on.

Both NO & Galveston were major ports. The Big One wiped out the later, then the Houston Ship Channel was dug and there went most of the business.

We regularly went fishing & crabing. My favorite part was the boat ride as it was cool(er). My old man & his father would just bake in the H&H for hours and not complain. I just withered. I was miserable. Looking back at my fire red face in the photos was a sure indication I had heat exhaustion. Whenever I see a kid like that now, I immediately tell the parents.

I grew up in the French Quarter in a "slave quarter" patio apartment surrounded by taller buildings, and with no A/C until I was almost 13. There were no breezes except from fans, and while we kept our shutters and windows open, we had no screens, so every summer morning I woke up with mosquito bites. Maybe the heat was less intense then, and maybe it started later in the year and ended a little earlier. All I recall is, when Mom bought our first window A/C unit, I immediately moved indoors for the summers and went out as little as possible.

As a young kid in Port Arthur, TX in the 60's, we had an "attic fan", but no A/C. That thing pulled massive amounts of air IN through the windows and then up and out of the attic. In any case, we got a window unit A/C around 1970. Mom had had enough!

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Yep and it was cloudy in central Texas today also.

hey, quick question about august in your neck of the woods...

My friends Little brother enlisted in the army, starting Boot camp on Tuesday.
I had considered driving my friend to the graduation, which should be early august. (9 weeks)
he's at Ft.Sill (Lawton,OK)

reasons i would want to go?
1) I miss the Drive, until last summer my brother lived in DFW, and we would always drive down in early october to visit,he moved back home..
2)because of those trips, I know the way to get 95% of the way to Ft. Sill, including the good places to stay...
3) My car Has working...everything. his, no where near close, esp on the A/C front...

so yeah, just how brutal,typically, should we be expecting?

That's where I work. In August, it will be hot...but....we shouldn't have any humidity and the SW winds are always blowing. Unless we have some sort of freak rain event, humidity is basically non-existent that time of the year here. Trust me, you'll want to stay in one of the newer hotels along I-44 off of Gore Boulevard....I don't remember the names, but they are new and national chain. Staying inside Lawton isn't that bad, but traffic can be stupid. From Ohio, it's not a bad drive...you'll need to eventually hit I-44 west into Lawton from OKC. Don't plan on going through OKC anytime between 1530 and 1830, lots of construction and traffic is brutal. That part of the interstate from OKC to Lawton is also a toll road, have some quarters ready unless you want to get in line to pay. When you want to get on Fort Sill, unless you're a civilian, active duty military or retired, you're going to have to get a visitors pass located at the Sheridan Road visitors center.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Scientists don't use the F-word.
yeah, true scientists use kelvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back