can a driveshaft be thrown out of balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a couple weeks ago my gas tank shield was rubbing against the driveshaft. I don't think it cut into it really, but it definitely polished it a bit where you can see fresh aluminum next to the dull looking aluminum. Makes me wonder if that could throw it out of balance? Or not really.

I sure can be but in this case it sound like you just gave it a polished spot around the whole circumference not just in one spot. If there is no vibration from the shaft I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I sure can be but in this case it sound like you just gave it a polished spot around the whole circumference not just in one spot. If there is no vibration from the shaft I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Maybe a little when the engine lugs, but for all I know that was always there. I would think it would be there all the time and get worse with speed if it was out of whack. Also from what I could tell it didn't dig into the shaft any.

Drive shafts can vibrate when the U joints are worn, that is, needle bearings in the U-Joint and the journals they ride
on wear with distance and when the grease leaks out or is not re-greased.

I bet its fine with a bit of uniform amount of metal removed circumferentially.
Toss a balance weight off the driveshaft or snag road junk, etc you wil feel it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back