pennzoil platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should hold up great, Pennzoil Platinum is a wonderful oil. Don't do extended drain intervals, just run it probably 5K miles and you should be good. Get a UOA after that if you're worried.

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
Will Pennzoil Platinum hold up ok while towing with a Ram v6? Looking for something to handle high temps.

If Pennzoil Platinum wouldn't hold up in a typical pickup truck, I don't know what would, LOL.

If you are really concerned about high temps, go up a grade or so, like to 10w30. PP is a awesome oil.

Manual says I can use 5/20 or 5/30. I have been running 5/20 but may jump to 5/30 for extra protection.

I would lean toward using 5/30 in the towing application for the extra temps. Especially since the manual says it's okay.

Originally Posted By: Smoqueed
Manual says I can use 5/20 or 5/30. I have been running 5/20 but may jump to 5/30 for extra protection.

I would lean toward using 5/30 in the towing application for the extra temps. Especially since the manual says it's okay.

+1 on going with the 5w-30. I just changed my caravans oil, I've been using PPPP since I dumped the factory fill. It's excellent oil.

PP 5/10-W30 holds up great towing 7-8K with ambient temps at 105-115 in my Nissan Titan.

Id say it'll be ok for your V6.

UD

Lots of good advice - the best being using the 30wt oil. I'd just go right to 10w/30 and rest easy.

For the people recommending 10w30 -- Since OP's towing in the summer months, oil viscosity when fully warmed up is what's important. A 5w30 & 10w30 should be equally thick (relatively) when hot, so why run a 10w? Unless OP's burning oil, you want the lighter 5w lubricating the engine during cold starts, even in the summer, no?

I'm in no way an oil guru and will wait for all the knowledgeable folks to chime in
smile.gif

Why wouldn't it? Even dollar store oil would hold up as long as it is SN rated. Pennzoil Platinum is one of the better oils out there so use it and smile!

Originally Posted By: mclasser
For the people recommending 10w30 -- Since OP's towing in the summer months, oil viscosity when fully warmed up is what's important. A 5w30 & 10w30 should be equally thick (relatively) when hot, so why run a 10w? Unless OP's burning oil, you want the lighter 5w lubricating the engine during cold starts, even in the summer, no?

I'm in no way an oil guru and will wait for all the knowledgeable folks to chime in
smile.gif

Your point is well taken and has merit. My personal opinion on the 10w/30 for his towing in hot temps was because the 10w/30 will have less viscosity additives and that - in theory - makes a slightly more robust oil. In real world use and with today's improved oil technology it may be a mute point, but I'll still take a 10W/30 atleast in the summer. Even a 10W/30 oil flows very good in cold temps - just a few degrees less than a 5w/30 and even then, both are in the NEGATIVE digits so unless you are always below 0 degrees - they both work well.

Use any ck-4/sn oil yep it's a truck oil. Fairly priced .any will do .just make sure it say ck-4 sn in the api circle and you ll be set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back