xtreme green

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is this guy I watch on occasion on youtube named briansmobile1. He's a mechanic that does a variety of work and occasionally reviews products. He recently posted the video below on this additive. I am still not buying the claims. I searched the site with Google and the board search engine and didn't see any hits talking about so I decided to start a thread on it. I know there was talk on here before about the test they are using being bogus as well. I am just looking to see what the overall view is from the folks here. I am not sure if it is the real deal or in the snake oil category.

(Honestly, any additive is in the snake oil category for me unless proven otherwise.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk0GDsmgSsY

On their website (http://xgglobal.com/engine-life-treatment/) it says this:

Will using the Engine Life Treatment void any warranties?
No. Using The Engine Life Treatment will not void your warranty. The Magnusson Moss Act is a federal law that prohibits engine manufacturers from voiding any warranty simply from the use of an additive.

I think that is [censored] as well. If there is some goof ball additive in the oil and you destroy your engine, no manufacturer is going warrant that, are they? What if my additive is...I dunno...Maple Syrup?

I found this just the other week browsing BITOG for test procedures.....

"The 4-ball test (ASTM D4172) is often used as a screening test for many different lubricant types that contain antiwear additives or similar base oil properties. Other tribo-mechanical bench tests are often used as well, including the Timken Test (ASTM D2782) and the Pin and V-Block (ASTM D2670). Because engines have different contact geometry, loads, metallurgy and speeds, numerous bench tests and test protocols are needed. It is not uncommon for several oils to be tested using two such methods and to find that the performance rankings between the oils to reverse (no correlation). This is why, among other reasons, Passenger Car Motor Oils and Heavy Duty Oils (diesel crankcase) are tested in actual engines using controlled methods such as ASTM D5533 Sequence IIIE and D5302 Sequence VE.

Jim Fitch, Noria Corporation"

Save your money. Those engine treatment mouse milks show up every few years claiming to do wondrous things. Don't believe it.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: BobThe
On their website (http://xgglobal.com/engine-life-treatment/) it says this:

Will using the Engine Life Treatment void any warranties?
No. Using The Engine Life Treatment will not void your warranty. The Magnusson Moss Act is a federal law that prohibits engine manufacturers from voiding any warranty simply from the use of an additive.

I think that is [censored] as well. If there is some goof ball additive in the oil and you destroy your engine, no manufacturer is going warrant that, are they? What if my additive is...I dunno...Maple Syrup?

You're right, that is not what the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act protects. Now, if they are claiming that their product meets API standards and has no effect on the formula of the oil its being added to, which has been licensed, they might have a case. But once that is added, the oil manufacturer's warranty and claims go out the window and the OEM will not warranty their product when using an oil that does not meet their specifications.

I like how he had the bottle of Head and Shoulders sitting on the counter. Let's see the results of that!

I also watch Briansmobile1 frequently, and saw the video on Xtreme Green. I don't understand the test they used and they were saying it applies much more pressure but I still think it needs to be a standardized test for a true comparison to other oil additives. Has anyone on this site used Xtreme Green before? The price is pretty steep for one oil change. With synthetic oil, filter, Xtreme Green Engine Life Treatment, and the Oil Stabilizer they recommend for diesels it would be like $300 per oil change. I would have to be very convinced to spend that kind of money on an oil change, but even then I don't think I would start using it.

As with all these kind of products. If it was so amazing then why isn't it used by all the vehicle manufactures?

Sorry, but quality oil and no additives for this individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back