suzuki 4 strokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who has a Suzuki 4 stroke outboard and whats your opinion on them? I'm sold on them. My cousin recently purchased a 2001 year model 31 Contender, the original owner bought it new with 2 stroke Yamahas, put 50 hours on it, passed away and his family has had in it climate controlled storage since. They repowered it with brand new 300 Suzukis last year and put 90 hrs on it before selling it to my cousin. The boat is like brand new. To make a long story short, we went run it in the Gulf last week. At idle, they are extremely quiet, what amazes me is that at full throttle you can have a normal conversation, they are that quiet. also the torque when you put them in the corner is pretty impressive. Just thought I'd share. My dad has had 2 Yamaha 4 strokes, a 225 when they came out in 2001 and a 2014 model 200 four cyl. Both zero problems, but I think when I do get a new boat it will be with a Suzuki.

Nice! Good to hear! You don't hear much about them cause they're not in the Bassmasters, FLW, etc...
If I was sponsored, I'd say that is the best motor too!

Were the yamahas not any good after sitting for 16 years? I don't understand why you would repower outboards with 50hours on them.

I know a guy who had a suzuki and it blew up and they installed a new on it. Didn't really ask what caused the first one to go, some kind of manufacturer defect or something I think it was. No problems with the new one.

I re-powered my boat with a Johnson branded Suzuki 4-stroke years ago. Great motor.

^ I was just going to bring that up.. Doesn't other OEMs like Johnson or Evinrude use Suzuki engines or is it the other way around?

Regardless, I recall Suzuki 2-stroke outboards being as tough and reliable as a boat anchor. Right up there with Tohatsu/Nissan.

Quote:
Doesn't other OEMs like Johnson or Evinrude use Suzuki engines or is it the other way around?

Both Johnson/Evinrude as well as Mercury and Mariner have used Japanese sourced motors for
a few years off and on. Often their lower powered models.
These are fill in years when in house development gets jammed up or to fill a gap in the
line up.

My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back