Would this wobble cause vibration at idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After tuneup and replacing many parts, I still have a light pulsing vibration at the steering wheel when idling. Not enough to move the tach, but enough to feel the engine at the steering wheel which is for me, annoying.

Is it normal for the (harmonic balancer???) to slightly wobble? This video makes is look less/better than it is..

Harmonic balancer needs replacing , like Trav stated it is a known problem. I would add that you might want to replace the belt tensioners while your there. The vibration from the faulty balancer cannot be good for that tensioner as well as age/mileage make it a good time to do aswell.

Replace it ASAP. Mine decided to go out 60 miles from home, worried myself silly the whole ride home thinking the balancer would punch through the front cover.

I would think a rattling would accompany the motor mount. If the even neither the MM or HB are the issue, try a fuel injection cleaning, not the bottled [censored] a full service injection cleaning that also removes carbon deposits from valves and the intake.

Got rid of my choppy idle a few years ago using that method.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: Trav
The harmonic balancer rubber coupling is shot, its a known issue.

I need this? It this something I should pay to replace?

ACDelco 19300488 GM Original Equipment Crankshaft Balancer

Yes that's what you need before doing any further vibration diagnosis. Once the outer ring is loose on the rubber it can shift and cause a crankshaft out of balance condition. This is a must repair now job, do not put this off.
You can do this easy job yourself if you have the tools.

Not exactly true. Chevy has designed a lot of their balancers in a manner that requires you to have a specific balancer puller tool. They're designed to pull on the balancer while the center screw pushes on a small divot in the center of of the crank snout. I purchased the wrong one and got the center screw lodged inside the balancer, a couple inches deeper and the threads in the crank snout would've been [censored].

Luckily my mechanic got it dis-lodged and replaced the balancer for $270.

Last edited:
Please read my post I said..
Originally Posted By: trav
You can do this easy job yourself if you have the tools

Sorry, I have the right tools and can do this in no time, its a very easy job.

Just giving him a heads up. I almost had a stroke after I realized how badly I had screwed up

I am guessing you can rent one. I know what you mean though there is nothing like the feeling when you bugger something up.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
I am guessing you can rent one. I know what you mean though there is nothing like the feeling when you bugger something up.
lol.gif

First I went to Advance Auto and and rented the universal Chrysler kit. Had some issues with that one so I did a quick online search and found ORielly had the kit. Returned the first one used the ORielly hit. Complete disaster.

Had to towed to my mechanic, after a couple days he calls me and says it's fixed. He used the Chrysler kit and the push-rods that came with it, the one I got at ORielly is for the 3800 Series II motor. He said he had to cut the center screw off flush with the face of the balancer, and it was lodged in there so well he had no choice to blast it with compressed nitrogen until it froze, then he hit it with a pneumatic chisel. After doing it a few times he managed to get the remainder of it out.

I kept the balancer as a reminder in the event I try to do some dumb [censored] again.

I ended up at the dealer for an unrelated P0454 which required a tank drop. I was prepared to have the job done, dealer said "its fine, don't waste your money"

They could feel if its loose or not but I would keep an eye on it. The guy who serviced the car isn't infallible either. Personally for peace of mind I would get a second opinion, they are known to fail and it starts with a wobble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back