Accurate and repeatable digital pressure gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to replace my stick style tire pressure gauge with something a little newer and hopefully more accurate and repeatable. Are there any good ones out there? Any to avoid?

Maybe he wanted to hear from the wonderfully credentialed community of BITOG
crackmeup2.gif

Research Tireminder. I have 2 and both are within 1/2 lb of each other. I've not tried to compare with a certified gauge

I use a husky digital for my tires. I compared it to my friends craftsman digital tire gauge and they were spot on with each other.

Accutire MS-4021B is a good one for sure.

Since I have so many cars to do air pressure maintenance on, I bought an Astro 3018 digital tire inflator. Can be used only to check pressure, or can be used to check pressure, inflate, and deflate. It has significantly reduced tire pressure maintenance labor time for me. The Astro is the same as the Matco DT4B just different color rubber sleeve.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-3018-Digita...+pressure+gauge

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/DT4B/3-5-DIGITAL-TIRE-INFLATOR/

I have a 10 yr old Craftsman digital that I think is accurate but is it really? It also uses at least 2 button batteries.

I do not know where I could find a certified gauge.

I've had good luck w the cheap Slime digital gauge at Walmart - it measured in line with my high dollar racing gauge. I like that it holds the reading when you remove the pressure.

I don't think the pencil style pressure gauge can be beat. I have been using one I purchased from NAPA fifty years ago and it reads within one pound of an Auto-Meter with a display PSI gauge. I recall Consumer Reports testing tire gauges decades ago and there choice was the pencil style. There are some cheapo pencil gauges on the market but one from NAPA should serve you for a lifetime. No need to overthink checking tire pressure.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I don't think the pencil style pressure gauge can be beat. I have been using one I purchased from NAPA fifty years ago and it reads within one pound of an Auto-Meter with a display PSI gauge. I recall Consumer Reports testing tire gauges decades ago and there choice was the pencil style. There are some cheapo pencil gauges on the market but one from NAPA should serve you for a lifetime. No need to overthink checking tire pressure.

Agreed!

I dont' see the need to complicate something so simple for something that requires batteries.

They've worked for decades with no problems.

My Milton S-921 pencil gauge is spot on with my two digital gauges I own, at least in the 30 lb. range. I have old eyes, and the digital gauges are easier to read. Without my reading glasses, I can't see the Milton marks.

Not to hijack this good thread, but it's amazing how many tires have no valve cap on them. Dirt, sand, crude, etc build up making one wonder how an accurate reading can be done.

If you have decent metal ones they steal them anyway, I gave up and run the cheap black plastic ones. I had a used car with green nitrogen filled ones (no i didn't fill them) and they stole them too in A supposedly secure Boston parking garage.
lol.gif

Stupid Question Here.

How important is Accuracy when temperatures vary from day to day. Todays pressure wont be the same as tomorrows.

Absolute, maybe not so much... but relative for sure. I say within 1-2 psi for a passenger car is more than good enough. However if you dealing with TPMS you'll need more accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back