Change coils while replacing plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Dodge Caravan Crew with 78k on it. I plan on replacing the plugs soon. Should I also replace the coils at the same time? Any info would be appreciated.

My opinion and my experience say no. I'm on my 4th. Chrysler minivan [all older models] and the plugs have lasted well over 100,000 miles. Had a mechanic recommend my son change plugs and a few coils on his Cadillac CTS. I changed only the plugs and all the problems went away.

Replacing the coils while replacing the plugs would be like replacing the radiator while replacing the coolant.

A waste of time and money.

I had to replace a coil in my 300ZX due to the coil pack splitting because of a short in the wiring to that particular coil.

Other than a situation like that, where the coil is definitely busted, I wouldn't recommend changing coils just for the sake of changing them.

Try plugs first
laugh.gif

Depending on where you are getting the replacement coil, you may be making things worse.

Don't go looking for trouble where it doesn't exist.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Replacing the coils while replacing the plugs would be like replacing the engine while replacing the oil.

A waste of time and money.

FTFY since this is BITOG and all
thumbsup2.gif

coils are not a regular wear item.

But you should use iridium plugs since transverse V6's can be hard to work on getting to the back of the engine. And if you have to remove the intake, you might as well replace the valve cover gaskets while you're in there.

Easy enough to replace when they give you issues. My company truck. 223,000 miles, original plugs and coils as far as I know. Company only fixes stuff when it stops. 2005 Ford F150.

Still have the original coils in my Rav and Corolla (RIP). Coils are expensive; they're like $50 each in my engines. Unless your engine is known to eat coils, no reason to change them as part of PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back