disk full ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every now and then i get this message that i'm out of hard drive space. And my drive shows full. Later i check and it shows 743gb free of 917.

What would cause this? The drive is defragmented regularly.

Have you tried to pull your info off the disk, re format the hard drive and reinstall your info? How old is the drive?

Sounds like either you have bad sectors on the drive or it's controller is going bad?

Also could be a rogue program messing you up - have you tried running a security scan, Malewarebytes and maybe CCleaner?

There maybe a hidden partition on the drive. I use the MiniTool Partition Wizard free program. works great for viewing partition level info and making any changes.

Maybe some software is reserving space on the drive or caching, but that's alot of space for it to be using. What kind of partition is the drive set up with maybe the os is having an issue withe the partition type or size.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Every now and then i get this message that i'm out of hard drive space. And my drive shows full. Later i check and it shows 743gb free of 917.

But is this your only drive/partition?

Are you sure the windows message is referring to this particular one, and not some other drive/partition?

When you click My Computer, what drives/partitions do you see there and what are their respective sizes and free space?

Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
Have you tried to pull your info off the disk, re format the hard drive and reinstall your info? How old is the drive?

Sounds like either you have bad sectors on the drive or it's controller is going bad?

Also could be a rogue program messing you up - have you tried running a security scan, Malewarebytes and maybe CCleaner?
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Are you sure the windows message is referring to this particular one, and not some other drive/partition?

When you click My Computer, what drives/partitions do you see there and what are their respective sizes and free space?

I have no idea how i would pull my data off the drive and reformat. This computer is a gateway with the intel i3 processor, i'm guessing its 6 years old, really don't remember when i bought it.

I run norton. My computer only shows drive C with 709 GB free.

I'm really not computer savvy.

Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I have no idea how i would pull my data off the drive and reformat. This computer is a gateway with the intel i3 processor, i'm guessing its 6 years old, really don't remember when i bought it.

I run norton. My computer only shows drive C with 709 GB free.

I'm really not computer savvy.

To pull the data off the hard drive you would need either another internal hard drive or an external drive with enough space on it to handle all the data on the original drive. You would also need a backup software that is capable of reinstalling your info. Macrium and AOMEI have free software that can do that and/or clone (make an 100% exact copy). The problem with this is if it is malicious software you'll copy that and reinstall. BTW, if you have ANYTHING of value on your computer you should always back up!

A 6 YO computer may be having problems with it's BIOS battery. Typically they look like coins and with everything off you pop one off and pop a new one in. There are different size batteries so you first need to know which one you need (ie: 2325, 3016, ...) Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart may have what you need. Newer computers (6 YO should be newer) will boot up the first time and see all new data and adjust accordingly - usually. Once it has done that the first time it shouldn't have to look for things again.

You may have a hidden drive (D) that is there in case of a catastrophic failure and you need to re initialize your computer to "brand new" status for the software. I am unfamiliar with Norton and they may have it hidden because nobody wants you to play with it. Funny thing is if a hard drive fails the D drive is probably useless but it is there for really bad viruses destroying your C drive.

You can also try disabling Norton for a while and see how it goes. I've heard that security suites are hogs for resources - I don't know if it's a fact or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back