New ignition switch = no beuno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a 93 f250 with a 7.3 idi(old but solid). My old ignition switch has been acting up, ill turn the key to start it but nothing will happen. But, if I do it again, it will start. So im thinking the 20+ old ignition switch is starting to wear out. Bought a Standard Motor Products US216 Ignition Switch to replace it, but it wont turn over my truck. I can get my glow plugs to go, I have power to my radio and accessories, but it wont give power to my starter? Im not sure if you need to align it? Put my old one back in, so i can at least have my truck, but would like to replace the switch.

In my 87 the key would turn way past where it should but no start.
The actuator rod In The column had broke.
Does your key turn too far?
Maybe that's it

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
In my 87 the key would turn way past where it should but no start.
The actuator rod In The column had broke.
Does your key turn too far?
Maybe that's it

Had that happen too in my 87. However it was easy to sense something broke because the key turned with no effort, almost flopping around. Not that there is anything wrong with Standard but maybe it is not the correct switch. Maybe try another brand? I do remember there were some issues way back involving ignition switch issues with Fords of that era.Maybe your finally bit the dust.

Last edited:
Im thinking that its the solenoid on the fender. The switch seems good.

Tried starting my truck, I get a clicking sound and no start. But if I try it again, it'll start. Is this a starter issue?

With a volt meter you can troubleshoot this very quickly or just jump over the solenoid with your jumper cable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back