Dad amazes me somedays

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, dad calls me last night asking about oil for his Dart project car. 360 striker brother and I rebuilt for him. He was babbling all over LUCAS 15w40. SMH

Brother said "how about VR1 20w50 I got you for $1 quart at Autozone or even EDGE 0w40?"

I didn't find much on Lucas 15w40 also. Dads response to 0w40 was "I have such and such bearing clearance". Which then I said "do you even know anything about oil, much less a 0w40?"

A Lucas brand engine engine oil can't be that bad. It's their oil additives and quick fix leak stoppers that give them a bad name here on BITOG.

Using the $1 VRI is a no brainer though IMO. Don't you have Castrol 5w50 too? That should be an A3/B3.

Originally Posted By: car51
Point is: he thinks a 0w40 or 0w anything is "water" which really makes brother and I SMH

Let him think that. At his age, I doubt he's gonna change.
wink.gif

Dads response to 0w40 was "I have such and such bearing clearance". "

This is a legitimate response. Some hot rodders like to build things "loose".

He wants to run 20w50 and flash back 40 years because that was how it was done. Let him.

You also have to remember that 0W wasn't even an option years ago. I'm not a car guy but 30 years ago lighter winter oils really didn't exist with the possible exception of Mobile 1.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Point is: he thinks a 0w40 or 0w anything is "water" which really makes brother and I SMH

Let him think that. At his age, I doubt he's gonna change.
wink.gif

I'll let him think like Stone Age people like himself do. I'll laugh when it blows apart too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
You also have to remember that 0W wasn't even an option years ago. I'm not a car guy but 30 years ago lighter winter oils really didn't exist with the possible exception of Mobile 1.

Maybe not 30 years ago, but the first time I heard about any 0W-20 was when a parts store manager who was a local drag racing mechanic was telling me about some synthetic Pennzoil 0W-20 race oil he was offered years ago. Super-thin oils have always been around for racing applications.

By the mid-90s, GM was already recommending 0W-30 for use in subzero temperatures. By 2000 when Honda and Ford started using 5W-20, some thought about using 0W-20 instead. I only remember Mobil 1 and the Honda house brand, which was made by Mobil back then.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You don't think much of your dad do you?

Quite the opposite. You don't have to say 0w30, 0w20 and any 0w oil is garbage. If he doesn't know what even a 5w30 is and how it works then he shouldn't be wanting a unrealistic oil like 15w40.

This is why when he asks me or brother about oil, atf we just say "don't know"

This reminds me of the post about the Dad with the screwed up AC in his truck his mechanic broke. The Dad didn't want to go back and complain to the mechanic, then pretended it worked okay.

Just let them blow it up, which it probably won't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Canadastang
20W50 so you can hear the valvetrain rattle on startup. lol

Huh ... Not goinna happen. 0W, or 5W maybe ...

Is it Pop's car? Has he been watching the race channels on TV (Lucas is all over there)... What are the bearing clearances?

Maybe he never liked Valvoline back in the old days ...

Did anyone ask him what he used back in the day?

Trust me, we have tried to explain to him about 10w30 VR1 and other oils easily obtainable. He doesn't do much research; goes by what "friends" say is the be all to end all
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
... 30 years ago lighter winter oils really didn't exist with the possible exception of Mobile 1.

In the mid '60s 5W-20 conventional was the usual winter oil on the Canadian prairies. We used 10W-30 as our summer weight oil. That made life simple - oil change in the fall, oil change in the spring.

And that's 50 years ago.

I run into this a lot with most people I talk too. When I explain how like over 30 degrees they're all the same they just look confused.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

I run into this a lot with most people I talk too. When I explain how like over 30 degrees they're all the same they just look confused.

LOL! Think brother has him talked into using EDGE 0w40 thank heavens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back