Inexpensive Emergency Generators

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a 2800 Watt Pramac generator with a Honda engine that I have never used. Unfortunately it will only run the furnace and maybe a couple of lights. S-E Michigan received 12+ hours of gale force winds last Wednesday that interrupted power to over 800,000 homes - some for a week's time. This event has me thinking of upgrading to a bigger generator just in case.

I have found a Powerland brand 10,000 watt tri-fuel generator for only $500 new. I have an exterior NG connection already piped in (future pool heater), and adding an exterior twist-lok covered receptacle will be relatively easy.

The engine on this generator has no brand name such as B&S, Kohler, Subaru, or Honda. My guess is the entire machine is made in China or Viet Nam. Anyone know anything about this brand or similar no-name generators?

Last edited:
It's a tough call. Chinese quality can be all over the place. Some of their suppliers are making OEM stuff and have been trained (disciplined?) to western levels of quality. And some are dirt bag outfits.

If your power outage causes a medical level emergency, or similar, then I'd say no way. But if it's more the general inconvenience type of problem when you suffer the double situation of a power failure AND a generator failure, the probably OK.

If it was mine, I'd hook it up and run some full scale / full load test runs, maybe 10 hours.
If not successful, warranty time.

If you attain that mark, then maybe every 6 months do a repeat trial for an hour or so. Nat gas is a nice setup because you don't have to worry about stale fuels over time.

Home Depot sells that one for $999. It's 8,000 running watts, 10,000 surge watts. For those "off name brands" my concern is getting service work done and getting parts. Find out from the seller where the service work is done and where to get parts. Though the price is real tempting
grin.gif

Whimsey

If you crunch the numbers fuel is about 10-15x as expensive as grid power. Nat gas might be slightly cheaper but still "holey smokes" orders of magnitude.

I like my 2500 watt chonda. It powers my (shallow) well pump or a microwave or a toaster. But not all at once.
wink.gif

The transfer switch so my wife can operate it is the second killer app. I got the "half house" 4 circuit deal which doesn't have to go between the meter and the main breaker box.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Home Depot sells that one for $999. It's 8,000 running watts, 10,000 surge watts. For those "off name brands" my concern is getting service work done and getting parts. Find out from the seller where the service work is done and where to get parts. Though the price is real tempting
grin.gif

Whimsey

I saw that Home Depot price later. Now I need to find the original website with the $500 price again. It may have been a bogus price or an old price from a bankrupt seller. I agree regarding future service as it could quickly become a $500 (or $1000) boat anchor. Even Spark Plugs could be a challenge as Powerland probably won't appear in any catalog, and the original plug that comes with the engine may also be an orphan.

Last edited:
First analyze your power needs with a peak hold clamp on ammeter. You can get starting and running load. You can start motors one at a time.

You need power for boiler/furnace, well pump, refrigerator and freezer, microwave and a few lights.

A generator larger than you need will use more gas than a proper size one.

I have no experience with a tri-fuel generator but propane does run hotter. If your going to use NG I would get a propane/NG generator.

Do you have a transfer switch installed?

There have been times during flooding or hurricanes where they shut off NG to large areas due to fires.

To be 100% prepared you need your own everything.

I would look for a used standby generator from WinCo or Generac, Kohler.

The bigger they get the more you are doing all maintenance on-site, IMO.

If it's like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerland-PD3G10000E-10-000-Watt-Tri-Fuel-16-HP-Portable-Generator-/112286723832?hash=item1a24cf6ef8:g:sAsAAOSwjDZYj6CP

the 50 amp is kind of a pain to work with.
NEMA 14-50R.
As in expensive, and you roll your own.

And, if you're not using the 50 amp (you said you have a twist-lock), then maybe stick with a smaller
wattage generator.

First analyze your power needs with a peak hold clamp on ammeter. You can get starting and running load. You can start motors one at a time.

You need power for boiler/furnace, well pump, refrigerator and freezer, microwave and a few lights.

A generator larger than you need will use more gas than a proper size one.

I have no experience with a tri-fuel generator but propane does run hotter. If your going to use NG I would get a propane/NG generator.

Do you have a transfer switch installed?

There have been times during flooding or hurricanes where they shut off NG to large areas due to fires.

To be 100% prepared you need your own everything.

I would look for a used standby generator from WinCo or Generac, Kohler.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Isn't "inexpensive emergency" an oxymoron?

No. There is less than a 1 in 100 chance I will need the emergency generator. And if I don't have one, life gets more difficult but I can survive. Like most people, I clearly can't see spending big bucks on an expensive generator that will very likely never get used.

I found the on-line ad that I first spotted yesterday. Price says $520 rather than $500, probably my error.

PowerLand 10,000 watt Tri-fuel

I did find one unverified statement on the web saying that PowerLand generators are made in China by Briggs & Stratton. I am not familiar with B&S making a single cylinder horizontal shaft engine such as that on this generator. A few comments from buyers who had poor experience with their machines.

New comparable Winco brand machines are $3,000+.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited:
For an emergency all the cheap gensets will cover you for a while, if be a bit thirsty. (with a plumbed in line you are win good shape on this front unless that goes down)

After the cheap units get to about 100 hours they start needing valve adjustments because they aren't built with longevity in mind and use soft parts.
(the manual will tell you the interval )

For recurring use, parts availability, and something that can be serviced, or rebuilt - get a generator from a Mortorcycle shop (Honda/ Yamaha) or a Robin Subaru.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Isn't "inexpensive emergency" an oxymoron?

No. There is less than a 1 in 100 chance I will need the emergency generator. And if I don't have one, life gets more difficult but I can survive. Like most people, I clearly can't see spending big bucks on an expensive generator that will very likely never get used.

One night of no power in the dead of winter could cost me thousands in repairs for hot water heat. Thats just above the basement. If the boiler froze and cracked, then double it.

Check with the manufacuteres.

I bought a 15kw peak genny from Generac a bunch of years back for $650. It was a factory refurbished. I used it to power my race car operation at the race track. I can run large air compressors or welders with it. Never had an issue with it. Though the battery is dead now for the electric start.
I dont do the racing thing anymore, but I kept that genny. I haven't had to use it on the house yet, but ya never know....

Originally Posted By: Srt20

I bought a 15kw peak genny from Generac a bunch of years back for $650. It was a factory refurbished. I used it to power my race car operation at the race track. I can run large air compressors or welders with it. Never had an issue with it. Though the battery is dead now for the electric start.
I dont do the racing thing anymore, but I kept that genny. I haven't had to use it on the house yet, but ya never know....

You should run a generator every once and awhile. They can loose the "excite" and will not produce electricity until you do the procedure to "excite" the generator. Its not a big deal, but better done in the daylight than a power blackout. And then there is crud/gum in carb.

You should run a generator every once and awhile. They can loose the "excite" and will not produce electricity until you do the procedure to "excite" the generator. Its not a big deal, but better done in the daylight than a power blackout. And then there is crud/gum in carb.

It sat for a few years and I started it and ran some power off of it. Works fine, except the battery is dead.
Its only ever had shell no ethanol gas in it since new.

Ive heard many time on the internet that generators need to be "exercised" to stay working. Ive had a few generators over the years and never have exercised them and they've always worked when I needed them. Some sat for many years.

Last edited:

It sat for a few years and I started it and ran some power off of it. Works fine, except the battery is dead.
Its only ever had shell no ethanol gas in it since new.

Ive heard many time on the internet that generators need to be "exercised" to stay working. Ive had a few generators over the years and never have exercised them and they've always worked when I needed them. Some sat for many years.

It may depend upon the type. Some generators have a capacitator and that may me the issue. Merc-Alte makes a lot of generator heads. They have a document on how to reexcite the generator head.

I would rather have 2 lower wattage units than one 10K watt unit. If your usage needs something that big, you might want to consider a standby unit. I've seen "cheap" units with tons of hours on them with nothing but oil changes. I believe there is a member here who has put 100s of hours on a little HFT 2-stroke 600-800w units.

I've got a 20yr/old ~1600w Coleman powermate that works like a charm and a ~3yr/old HFT 2-stroke cheapy. Works great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back