PC 690 Router Bearings Noisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a recent experience of using a much newer 690, I knew my 1995 model needed a bearing replacement.

The top, smaller bearing was easier to extract. It's a KYK 608Z made in Japan. Double shielded. It spun very easily, was noisy and play was evident. In my search I found that the double shielded version is listed as "608ZZ" while the single "Z" indicates a single shield.

The lower bearing was more difficult as I don't own an impact gun nor the appropriate socket. Instead I followed some instructions to make two arced wedges from a 2x4, slide them inside the aluminum housing, then tighten securely in a vise, thus locking the rotor. It did work...eventually.

The bottom, larger bearing is marked:
NTN 6202 LH on the face
NTN 6202 C3 Made in Canada on the circumference!

It has a blue rubber seal on both sides. It turns smooth, with little noise, doesn't sound "dry & raspy" as the top does. However, I can feel play in it and fell vibration when spinning the outside while holding onto the inside. So it's also Tango Uniform.

I was digging around in NTN's on-line catalog last night, at Amazon, Grainger, and some bearing/tool sites shopping around. I'll make a few calls locally tomorrow. Might get lucky.

I want to replace with a quality bearing given the application, RPM, lateral load, heat generation, etc.

Anyone hear replaced their router bearings?

I just take my 690s down to the tool repair guy and he gets 'em back to me the next day for about $25

Ah..well this one is already apart. Never needed service before. I'll make some local calls tomorrow. So far it looks like the OEM bearings are priced lower than many replacements! Odd that. Then again PC probably buys them by the freight car load.

Here's hoping their OEM bearing is indeed a quality part....

I used to repair PC690 routers fairly regularly, the company I worked for had them in production duty. McMaster often supplies NTN bearings. As you figured out the lower one is difficult to get to without an impact gun and if I remember correctly it also had threadlocker from the factory.

The C3 on the larger bearing indicates it has wider than normal clearances to compensate for thermal expansion. A little looseness wouldn't be abnormal. However, since it's apart you might as well replace it.

Both those sizes would be easy to order online. I have bought quite a few bearings on eBay. Mostly Japanese Nachi brand, but some others as well.

I found both bearings locally, though one business didn't have both. I found the top wasn't a Nachi but an "EZO/Japan dist. by Nachi". It was $12.50, which seemed excessive. However everyone else who had stock only had "IDC Select" which was China.

The lower bearing was easier to find and picked up a Nachi for ~ $8.

Reinstalled both yesterday without problem. Router is noticeably quieter and vibrates less.

I also picked up two Nachi bearings for the tablesaw while I was at it. Turns out I had replaced these in 2013, but with IDC selects. Now they're very loud/knocking. Not sure if both are causing this noise or just the pulley bearing. The motor is quite heavy (40 - 50#'s) and constantly applies force 24/7 hanging on the belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back