Dollar Tree Synthetic Blend Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, now that it is 16 ounce and it has the starburst and the donut, I bought one for top-off for the RAV4.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Other dollar sotres have been hit by class action lawsuits before over obsolete motor oils. Better to stay clear.

Dollar General's previous poor business decision to stock obsolete API grade and non-detergent motor oil has no bearing on whether this, a completely different API licensed product, is serviceable.
Heck, nowadays Dollar General stocks Warren blended SN stuff likely the same as the Super Tech you may find at Walmart. (Around here, ST is Citgo.)

Quote:
It's not even a good deal as WM sells full synthetic Supertech around the same price. After rebate M1 and PU is even cheaper.

I agree it's not a "good deal" as it's not 5 cents per quart, or free after rebate like half my oil stash, but your standards are probably too high if you don't think it an okay normal price.

Ignoring rebates (which aren't 100% guaranteed, and take time) and Walmart's periodic crazy online-only pricing rollbacks, compared to Super Tech Conventional, Dollar Tree's SMB is 44 cents cheaper by the quart, and $1.44 cheaper if one buys 5 quarts. It's much less expensive than the synthetic- more than half the price by the quart.

One thing I miss about DG is the SAE 30. I used to use it in my air compressor and to waterproof my snowblowers. Now I have to drive much farther to get some. I live in the country so this is a pain. I usually blow the poplar cotton out of my AC with my compressor and usually change the oil right after, now I have to drive like 20 miles to get some. Thanks to those for not reading the labels. Plus this stuff was handy to have available because I still have two vehicles I could use it. My Aerostar seeps oil around where I installed an oil pressure sensor so I'd typically have to add some towards the end of an oil change interval so since I was changing oil soon anyway a few bucks saved was a few bucks saved. The multigrades were fine for snowblowers too.

As far as the SMB, $2 a quart for a semi synthetic in a handy sized tip off/lawnmower sized bottle isn't bad. I bought quite a few, but again mostly for the bottle size, not because I can't get other oil cheaper at times. I'll probably buy a few cases worth and keep them around for convenience sake. My one tractor calls for 10W30 and 1 1/2 quarts at that, sure would be nice not to have a half empty bottle around.

Gonna dredge this one up again.

I bought quite a lot of this SMB dollar tree oil last summer because of the small containers and is convenient for outdoor power equipment, which I have a lot of. I even ran it in a car when I was well past an oil change in a pinch.

This stuff is perfectly fine. It isn’t the best deal. It’s main benefit is the small bottles but ultimately I don’t consider it risky.

If you’ve got a lot of outdoor power equipment you don’t end up with a ton partial of bottles lying around. So it isn’t City Star, is decent oil if you appreciate the small bottle size. Also makes more frequent small engine oil changes more convenient so that could extend lifespan as well.

PQIA finally tested the SMB Dollar Tree Oil. Other than having 5% more Phosphorus than the SN grade it seems perfectly fine. I've run it in outdoor power equipment for a while now due to its convenient size without issue. For $1 and the size you can do more frequent oil changes which in turn will lengthen the lifespan of the the equipment. I wouldn't even hesitate to run it in a car engine after seeing the actual numbers. I'll probably toss a bottle in the trunk of the older cars to carry around just in case since they don't leak with the foil seal.

http://pqiadata.org/SMB10W30.html

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
WOW! Zn 965 and Bo 229. Nice for older vehicles.

Agree!
I don't want to dig thru all the posts here. Anyone recall who makes the base oil for this?..... is it PQIA, which is new to me.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
WOW! Zn 965 and Bo 229. Nice for older vehicles.

Agree!
I don't want to dig thru all the posts here. Anyone recall who makes the base oil for this?..... is it PQIA, which is new to me.

I don't think there is a definite on who makes the base oil or anything much about the product. I did actually use some to do an oil change in a mid 1990s car late last summer but completely forgot about it until today.

The SMB website lists quarts and even 55 gallon drums. It looks like they've sourced a whole complete automotive line for everything.

For $2 a quart it doesn't seem like that bad a deal, the half quart sizes though are super convenient for most of these modern Chinese Honda clone engines which call for 15oz of 10W30.

I bought a ton of these, probably close to 100 because I feared they'd discontinue the half quart size and I have lots of outdoor equipment, so I'll probably got through like 20 of these a year. I hope they continue carrying them personally.

I bet it could possibly be Warren Oil from Dunn NC... The distribution center is located in Chesapeake VA... So it could likely be Warren Oil. Tia additive package is one Warren Oil uses.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I bet it could possibly be Warren Oil from Dunn NC... The distribution center is located in Chesapeake VA... So it could likely be Warren Oil. Tia additive package is one Warren Oil uses.
Location/distance means next to nothing nowadays. Retailers hardly base their vendor choices on the distance from their headquarters or warehouse, they base it on $$$ more than anything.

98% of the stuff in a Dollar Tree store are made in China, which ain't close to Chesapeake at all.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by bbhero
Location/distance means next to nothing nowadays. Retailers hardly base their vendor choices on the distance from their headquarters or warehouse, they base it on $$$ more than anything.

98% of the stuff in a Dollar Tree store are made in China, which ain't close to Chesapeake at all.

I wasn't sure if he was being facetious or not. Dollar Tree is of course a large company that contracts with any number of different suppliers that they'll have distribute in the most efficient way. Certainly Dollar Tree's headquarters in VA aren't going to be used as a distribution center. It's a corporate office. I've worked in the semiconductor industry for years and never really saw much of the manufacturing or distribution side. Those were always done halfway around the world.

However, I'd actually think that about a third of what you might find in a typical Dollar Tree is made in the US. While there might be some imported food, almost everything in the freezer case is made in the US or maybe Canada. Most of the food is American made. Unless it's some specialty item, most of the food isn't imported. Toiletries are still made in the US for the most part.

I forgot Dollar Tree sells food. Now that you reminded me, I have seen it.... and I'd prefer not to buy it unless it was absolutely necessary.

So my 98% number is a bit off. You get the point though. Toiletries, paper products, food (candy, etc), and probably most of their cleaning supplies will be made in the US, I agree. Ever used the cleaning products from there, at least the stuff that's not well-known brand names ? Strikes me as extremely diluted (weak).

Ahh hey hoss....

Walmart now sells East Penn batteries in my area...

Why??? Because it is close by....

Of course we have stuff made from Taiwan, China, India etc etc etc in all stores.... Been that way for quite awhile.... But in this case it could possibly well be Warren Oil makes that stuff...

Warren Oil makes American xt oil for another Dollar chain store... And Warren Distribution makes oil for Dollar General. So my theory is not way out of line by any reasonable measure.

Last edited:
With 1.99/qt oil (FVP & Traveller) at Menards & TSC, I see no reason to try this unless you don't have either of ^^^

Originally Posted by dwcopple
With 1.99/qt oil (FVP & Traveller) at Menards & TSC, I see no reason to try this unless you don't have either of ^^^

Never heard of FVP Oil. Maybe I need a closer look next time, at my Menard's in Macomb County.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back