Utility trailer spring question

Status
Not open for further replies.
This appears to be a custom built trailer from 1999, and seems to be well built. I picked it up a couple months ago and will be changing the tires but will look into replacing the springs mainly due to age.

I also thought about replacing the entire axle/hub assembly with the springs only for peace of mind but that's my question.

Should I replace the axle due to age, even if it appears to be in good shape, still has upward camber and bearings are smooth?

Axle seems to have odd dimensions...

Axle tube diameter based on my dial caliper... 2 25/64, or 2.385"
71 1/8" hub face width
58" spring center width
25" spring center mounting width.

Springs are just shy of 1 3/4" wide and has 4 spring leaves, hubs are 5x 4.5"

The axle diameter and length seem to be odd, maybe for the time period, not sure. Also I assume it normal to have one drop hanger for movement?

Just grease the bearings and motor on. Pull the trailer on the highway and once you get off the highway get out and feel the hubs to make sure they're not hot.

Under that rubber end you should be able to put the grease gun on there.

No need to replace springs or axles due to age unless the springs are sagging too much.

I think the springs are fine. I dribbled CarWell across the length of my boat trailer springs.

If you start with springs and the axle you could have bought a new trailer.

I would pull the bearings and wipe off grease and look for signs of corrosion. If none, grease them and use a new seal and reinstall.

Ok, good to know...I was thinking after 18 years the springs would need replacement. I will just clean and re-grease as they turn smoothly with barely any amount of hub heat after driving for an hour. That's the worst of the rust so I will sand the inner well down and repaint.

Trailer is a 5x10. I have a tandem axle for the larger loads but can be cumbersome for small jobs, the 5x10 is a perfect size.

I will use it to haul my JD garden tractor and went with 10' so for winter duties I can keep the rear weights and snow thrower or blade attached and still fit with the ramp up....about 1200 lbs with it setup for snow removal. For the rest of the year I need to haul 1 yard of material so it should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back