PCV valve average lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
In general, after how many miles have you seen PCV valves go south?
Does it depend on manufacturer brand? On synthetic vs conventional oil?

There's no way to tell. If in doubt, change out the four dollar part with an oem valve.

I go with the theory of my car is a machine and you need to take care of it so it can take care of you. So I check the PCV valve at each oil change and change it out every two years just because it is so cheap and I can. I had worked at a clean room facility for years and watched the fab engineers change out parts and pieces on a lot of the wafer processing equipment. They were using a scheduled change out on parts to keep the processing equipment running at some pretty tight tolerances and prevent possible failures. I figure it is the same with my vehicle.

2005 Honda Accord K24 (4 cyl) 12 years & 249 K miles-looked at the PCV valve once a while back, and it rattled freely inside when shook, so I just put it back in--didn't need to be cleaned. Idle is smooth as silk. I would venture to say when I get rid of any car, it has the original PCV valve in it.
Steve

It depends a lot on the engines condition and design of the PCV. You wouldn't want to leave some undersized (poorly designed PCV system) Honda V6 PCV in there for life that I can tell you, 30K is about it. If the engine has more blow by them moms overheating frying pan that can substantially shorten the PCV life. I would say generally 80-100K would be a good time to consider changing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back