Cheap Effective Charcoal Lighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently learned this trick when faced with the task of burning a large bag of old financial documents. Previous tests indicated burning paper itself is time consuming, sometimes incomplete and results is lots of black carbon ash blowing around with the slightest bit of wind.

This time around I split some scrap pine to build a TP fire to burn hotter, then added paper to it, all constrained with a few old tomato cages. More effective. But the trick was to spray the paper with some denatured alcohol first. Hotter burning resulted in complete combustion, much less carbon ash and no unburned paper remaining.

Recently I thought of this while starting a charcoal fire. I pick up a few free alt--papers to use just for starting fires. Problem is their energy content is so low it takes several attempts just to get the charcoal started. It burns with a very poor flame to say the least. Newspaper isn't what it used to be, eh?

So this time I spied my squirt bottle of denat. alcohol I use for shellac. I buy it by the gallon for economy. Just a few squirts on each sheet of newspaper before crumpling makes a huge difference. First, it ignites with a FUMP. Second, ignition is immediate. Third, more btus mean charcoal starts easier. Fourth, no black carbon ash remains. Instead, it's all thin grey due to more complete combustion. Fifth, charcoal is ready to use in about half the time! Sixth, the alcohol burns very clean, no soot, and no smell. Seventh, its extremely cheap. Just a few squirts on three balls of paper....that's it. No fuss, no muss, no time wasted either on failed attempts.

I should have figured this out MUCH sooner.......

I just toss it into the burn barrel once a year along with some other burnable trash. No muss, no fuss, no time wasted on failed attempts.

any type of paper still creates some ash that flies around or makes a mess.
After experimentation, I end up just paying the $3 for the starter cubes and use with a chimney starter. You get so many it'll take me over a year to work through the pack. Unless you're bbqing multiple times a week (at which point maybe you get a torch or electric starter).
The charcoal and meat add up so much anyway, i'm not worrying over $3.

You could also home make, with a chunk of candle or parafinn and wrap that in paper. those that go the 9 yards pour their own with eggcartons and shredded paper.

Doesn't mean the other methods are bad and that I wouldn't use them if i didn't have the cubes; but that just that with my amount of bbqing the cubes are the most efficient option for me.

Always chimney starter
bbq less than 5 times a year, just use some kind of paper (opt. with liquid fuel) method. (maybe if you're just starting out, youre using lighter fluid or self-lighting charcoal, and living in ignorance)
bbq 5-30times a year, cubes bbq 30+times a year, electric starter or torch or something else. You should've figured out your own best answer for you by now.

Last edited:
I've used ethanol paste (no longer available), weber cubes (they dry out over time in the heat here) and just paper. All with a charcoal chimney. Hardwood charcoal is much easier to light I've noticed. Also puts out far more BTUs than the cheaper stuff. It's about 3x more expensive though, so I save it for certain uses.

I also used generic sterno for awhile which works great if you don't leave it for too long. However newpaper + 15cc of den. alcohol is always available, highly effective and costs nothing. Plus, I no longer have to get out the plumber torch, except when I have to blister chilis.

I find Heet on clearance - put that on a few coals under Weber chimney - fill chimney - light through side hole

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
i use a weber chimney and an veggie oil soaked paper towel.

+1

Hand sanitizer is almost pure alcohol and very, very, very cheap. It makes a fantastic fire starter - - and since its a gel, it stays where you put it.

Wife does all the grilling stuff - I don't get to touch anything, except eating what she throws on my plate.
She uses the large Weber chimney and lights a fuel tablet. Then place the chimney with charcoal over the burning tablet. It burns clean and has always started the charcoal.
I think the fuel tablets are used for some kind of back packing stove. She grills an average of 4 times a week year around. So I guess she has tuned her way with the grill what works for her. She bought several boxes of the tablets, enough for years. Recently replenished the stash of chips too (apple, hickory, alder etc.).
I'm glad she doesn't use charcoal lighter fluid or burn a bunch of paper.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Weber Chimney and two sheets newspaper never a problem

+1 This. I use about 30 bags of charcoal a year between grills and smokers. This method is tried & true and always lights consistently. The Weber chimney is the key.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
Originally Posted By: dave123
Weber Chimney and two sheets newspaper never a problem

+1 This. I use about 30 bags of charcoal a year between grills and smokers. This method is tried & true and always lights consistently. The Weber chimney is the key.
Absolutely it's the only one to get and will last few years with alot alot of use

Uncle used alcohol to start BBQ. Cousin spilled some on himself and was burned badly. Said they couldn't see the flames.

I like the newspaper and chimney idea, but I struggle at it on a windy winter day.

... Then I sit it on the side burner on the grill. This method seems hard on the grates on the bottom of the chimney though. I always leave it on too long.

I have used it all but the best way to light charcoal is a rosebud tip on a cutting torch. Coals are ready in a couple of minutes.

I have use chimneys and the electric starters but I have the big Webber kettle so it is difficult to get all the charcoal going for it at once. I went back to charcoal lighter. It just works without much work. The second best is the gelled alcohol fire starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back