A most VEXING Dodge Ram Hemi... Coolant LEAK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Intake Manifold Gasket. Not visible when running because it burns off.

+1

I hear now that the Hemi is a "cold" manifold meaning no coolant in or near the intake gaskets. Could they therefore still be a cause of coolant leak?

Sorry, late to the party. Yes, the HEMI has a dry intake, no coolant passes through it, so no, it would not be the source of your leak.

Now... here's the million dollar question ... or perhaps, the $1,487.51 question...... Should I have the timing chain AND front main seal done (front main is currently bone dry at 99k)

And furthermore should I have the intake gaskets done just because of age to prevent oil sucking or lean error? Or is having them dig to deep on old heat cycled plastic parts a slippery slope one dare not tread upon AKA "less is more" when coming to moving old plastic intake parts.

There is no intake gasket, it is o-ring, so leave it alone.

I would just find the leak and go from there. No point in randomly starting to change gaskets. My old 2002 Expedition never had the valve covers, timing cover, anything off of it except the thermostat housing because the the thermostat failed. It still ran like a million bucks with just under 200,000 miles on it. It had a coolant leak at one point, but that was a pin-hole in the rad.

If you can pressure test it cold, I'd start there.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
There is no intake gasket, it is o-ring, so leave it alone.

I would just find the leak and go from there. No point in randomly starting to change gaskets. My old 2002 Expedition never had the valve covers, timing cover, anything off of it except the thermostat housing because the the thermostat failed. It still ran like a million bucks with just under 200,000 miles on it. It had a coolant leak at one point, but that was a pin-hole in the rad.

If you can pressure test it cold, I'd start there.

Got it. pressure test cold. maybe some dye. And confirm where she is coming from. Sickly I have a sinking suspicion its the timing cover gasket or a bolt in that area (if that is even possible)

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I have a sinking suspicion its the timing cover gasket or a bolt in that area (if that is even possible)

you can look at the sides of the timing cover by looking through the wheel well. theres two places where coolant passes through it that could leak. (two large holes near the top)

zcsFt07.jpg

sRlBUjB.jpg

Honestly though this leak would be rather small. if it was dripping off your crossmember then that sounds more like the water pump weep hole. thats what mine did when the water pump went out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back