Acura TB replacement - 105k or 84 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have read 105k miles or 84 months, whichever comes first, but have never seen this in any official Honda document. My 2010 MDX has a MM and there isn't an old fashioned maintenance schedule in the OM or FSM. My X is coming up on 7 years but has only 55k miles. I recently replace a 9 year old (50k miles) Mitsuboshi TB on my 99 Avalon and it looked absolutely brand new. I swore I would never change another TB based on age but I am getting cold feet. If I do replace the TB, I assume other components such as WP, hydraulic tensioner and idler bearings do not fail based on age and do not need to be replaced unless they are showing signs of failure, e.g. hydraulic tensioner is leaking or bearings are rough? Thanks.

Last edited:
If you have an interference engine, which you probably have, I wouldn't chance trashing an engine trying to guess on TB failure.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
If you have an interference engine, which you probably have, I wouldn't chance trashing an engine trying to guess on TB failure.

Ok, but would you replace other items at only 55k miles?

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Have read 105k miles or 84 months, whichever comes first, but have never seen this in any official Honda document.

Then you've never read your Owner Manual. Every single Honda Owner Manual specifies the timing belt replacement.

Back when the Manual contained a printed schedule, the specified replacement interval for "normal" service was 84mo/105k for late-model V6s.

For cars equipped with a Maintenance Minder, the timing belt is replaced during a service indicated by the number 4.

Check the section that explains how the Maintenance Minder works; it's all in there.

Could you get by without replacing anything except the timing belt? Absolutely. Over the years, the logic has been to replace pulleys, tensioner, water pump as applicable because the same amount of downtime/teardown and labor is required for any and all of those components. There is an old saying my grandfather taught me, "There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time; but you always seem to make the time and find the money to do the job over again." I have done a few of those timing belt projects over the years and I have seen perfectly fine looking pulleys, tensioners and such; but the peace of mind when you or your wife and family are on the road are worth the price. If I was trading it in, I wouldn't be concerned. If I was keeping the vehicle and I depended on it, I would replace all of the parts and rest easy at night.

I ran my TL out to the mileage (105k and 10 years). Belt looked new... I see where different manufacturers recommend different mileage/age, so you're right to consider that. I still would wait if it were me... But change the water pump when you do the timing belt.

Last edited:
I would wait. I would go more by mileage then time. You have your own evidence stating that. It couldn't be more clear. I had a hobby Audi repair shop with 60 clients and did many belt changes at or way passed the set time stated. You would be surprised how long these belts will last passed the set time. And yes, replace WP and all the guts.

Originally Posted By: vronline
Belt looked new.

Going by the physical appearance of the belt is a big mistake made by many non-professionals.

Internal carcass breakdown is what causes timing belt failure, which typically manifests are teeth stripping off. You cannot see that internal carcass deterioration from the outside.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Have read 105k miles or 84 months, whichever comes first, but have never seen this in any official Honda document.

Then you've never read your Owner Manual. Every single Honda Owner Manual specifies the timing belt replacement.

Back when the Manual contained a printed schedule, the specified replacement interval for "normal" service was 84mo/105k for late-model V6s.

For cars equipped with a Maintenance Minder, the timing belt is replaced during a service indicated by the number 4.

Check the section that explains how the Maintenance Minder works; it's all in there.

Believe me, I spend lots of time reading my OM and FSM. Neither specifies timing belt replacement interval. I know Honda used to say 105/84 but I do not know if that still applies. There is a fair amount of confusion and disagreement on this. Since the MM works only on miles, I can not depend on it for an 84 month alert. However, that is not my question. If I do replace TB at 84 months, can I wait until 105k miles for WP, etc assuming they inspect ok? IOW, replace TB now and do entire kit at 105k miles.

Last edited:
You are kidding right?
Timing belt and water pump replaced costs are 90% labor.
Electing to not change all the components is a really dumb idea.... especially if you aren't doing the work yourself

Quote:
Since the MM works only on miles
why do you say that? ECM does not need much intelligence to know how long it has been since put in the service. Heck, it could even know the actual date, day and time, including the actual leap years if it needed to. it might be fuzzy about the timezone without external help :)

Last edited:
They sell kits that include the water pump and other things that need to be replaced along with it. Get the Aisin kit

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
You are kidding right?
Electing to not change all the components is a really dumb idea.... especially if you aren't doing the work yourself

Not dumb at all if you do your own labor as a hobby.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
Since the MM works only on miles
why do you say that? ECM does not need much intelligence to know how long it has been since put in the service. Heck, it could even know the actual date, day and time, including the actual leap years if it needed to. it might be fuzzy about the timezone without external help :)

I agree it would be easy to also work on time but apparently it does not. It is based on engine revolutions and start/stops. That is why OM specifically says to change brake fluid every three years. If the MM worked on time, it would not have to spell that out, it would be built into the MM.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They sell kits that include the water pump and other things that need to be replaced along with it. Get the Aisin kit

Yes, I have had good luck with the Aisin kit. Just put one on my old Avalon.

You are kidding right?
Electing to just change the belt and not change ALL the components is a really dumb idea.... especially if you aren't doing the work yourself

Yeh I don't crawl under my car for 2 days because I'm bored.
Odd hobby

So If you only buy the belt and not the kit ....

You get in there and see that the idlers are shot and WP Is leaking but you only bought the belt...

So it sits on your driveway or garage for a few days while you order more parts... facepalm
WHAT A HOBBY!

Last edited:
You are kidding right?
Electing to just change the belt and not change ALL the components is a really dumb idea.... especially if you aren't doing the work yourself

Yeh I don't crawl under my car for 2 days because I'm bored.
Odd hobby

So If you only buy the belt and not the kit ....

You get in there and see that the idlers are shot and WP Is leaking but you only bought the belt...

So it sits on your driveway or garage for a few days while you order more parts... facepalm
WHAT A HOBBY!

Right, Honda WP and idlers will be shot with only 55k miles. What do you do for fun? I'm guessing quite a few folks would consider it a waste of time, even though you do not.

I had mine replaced on my 2007 Ridgeline at about 9 years and 72,000 miles, and I dodged a bullet. My indie mechanic said the hydraulic tensioner had leaked badly and probably was close to failure. I had all components replaced.

I believe Honda's unofficial take is replace the timing belt by mileage or after 7-8 years.

It's a tough call. The belt didn't see much use based on mileage but you never know what time did to the aging belt. It could be ready to pop because the rubber is degrading or it could still be mint and ready to go another 100k.

My Wifey's parents got 160k out of the original belt in their 2003 Honda Odyssey. When we finally replaced the belt to everyone's surprise, it looked amazing and could have made it to 200k with ease.

I've been harassing them and threating them that it will blow and ruin the engine since 100k. Lol.

Make the call. If the car has been babied and not driven hard, I say you run it longer.

Another good way to try to predict timing belt health is to examine the regular accessory belts to see how they are wearing during the same time frame. If that rubber is cracked and needs replacing, the TB probably does too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back