Diff Oil recommendation for 2006 Range Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Range Rover with 129,000 miles. Runs great. Diff oil needs changed. I live in rural Idaho not close to any Land Rover dealers. Is there any gear oil I can use besides the Land Rover labelled brand that my manual wants me to use? Thank you.

Originally Posted By: kinch1
I have a 2006 Range Rover with 129,000 miles. Runs great. Diff oil needs changed. I live in rural Idaho not close to any Land Rover dealers. Is there any gear oil I can use besides the Land Rover labelled brand that my manual wants me to use? Thank you.

Limited Slip? Castrol Syntrax!

Wen through the exact same exercise on my Tacoma 4WD truck.

Limited-slip differential: Mobil 1 75W90 synthetic gear oil.
Open differential: Mobil Delvac 1 75W90 synthetic gear oil.

Both are GL5. Mobile Delvac 1 is the factory fill in $500k+ Freightliner semi-truck differentials. Good enough for me.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
the factory fill in $500k+ Freightliner semi-truck differentials

Wow. Either class 8 prices have gone completely insane since I left the industry, or you're just pulling a make-believe number out of thin air. Hmmm...
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
the factory fill in $500k+ Freightliner semi-truck differentials

Wow. Either class 8 prices have gone completely insane since I left the industry, or you're just pulling a make-believe number out of thin air. Hmmm...
cool.gif

Woops. You're right I got this mixed up with Combines. A new Freightliner semi is around 100k.

Actually the diff oil in the rear can be expensive if you have the electronic torque managed differential and limited slip, which takes Castrol Carbon Mod Plus, shows part number MQL0776, Differential Oil. Otherwise its just a 75/90 Gear oil.

Last edited:
thought it worthwhile to add to this post rather than starting a new one. I have a 05 Land Rover Discovery 3. Currently Im running Penrite Pro Gear 75W-90 GL-5 diff oil. The front diff in particular dosent hold much oil - .9L. Summer is just ending here, but ambient temps can be very hot - around 40-45degC, winter is nice with around 25degC days the norm. Due to being remote the disco does alot of highway miles and often has a camper trailer (around 1200kg) behind it. My last lot of UOA from the diffs show a high iron content after around 50,000km on the oil. Im thinking of changing from the current oil to something better to see if it reduces the iron content, and possibly bumping up the viscosity to a 75W-140. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Shane-GTR;
The 75W is the winter grade, good to -40C, which you obviously don't need. One step up from 75w90 would be 80w110 which is not a common grade.
Have a look at either 80w140 which is often a "thin" 140 or 85w140s which would be considered a thick 140.

Your dead right userfriendly. I was in a rush typing that post as it was right at the end of my work day - I had the 75W-140 on my mind as I was looking on redline oils website and that's what they had on there. The 85w-140 is more common here

85W140 should very well serve your purpose .... or in even harsher operating requirements.
It's the high operating viscosity (at about 60-70*C) that contributes to lower metal wear rates.
Btw I'd an operating temperature of 85-88*C with factory recommended 80W90 dropping to 68-72ish *C with monograde SAE 140 ..... go figure with the increase in operating viscosity .... and its subsequent wear reduction potentials.

Shane; For the same reason, I'm moving up to 80w140 from 75w90 in 1500 & HD GMCs and a 2009 Ram 3500.
The GL-5 I picked has the same specs as the Eaton brand and is good down to about -32C, which unfortunately I need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kinch1

Audios has it right I think, this is what my system says

DIFFERENTIAL: REAR DIFFERENTIAL

Gear oil (Preferred specification) Castrol SAF-XO SAE 75W-90 All temperatures
Gear oil (Alternative specification) API GL-5 SAE 75W-90 All temperatures

DIFFERENTIAL: ELECTRONIC TORQUE MANAGED DIFFERENTIAL

Gear oil (Preferred specification) Castrol SAF Carbon Mod Plus SAE 75W-90 All temperatures
Gear oil (Alternative specification) Castrol BOT 720 SAE 75W-90 All temperatures
Gear oil (Alternative specification) API GL-5 SAE 75W-90 All temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back