Oil filter look-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know all the different filter lookup tools provided by filter manufacturers? Do you think they are just lining those up by thread size and can size? Or are they actually checking ADBV strength and filtration? You think if they recommend a certain filter for your car they would have some sort of liability that it function for your vehicle right?

A a minimum they are a thread and physical match. If you know the difference you should check the actual spec's. This is especially true if you're going to use a physically larger capacity filter.

I opted for a longer filter (Mobil 1 M1-209 with matching pressure relief valve setting) for my 4Runner. I did not for my Honda Civic because the filter is on the backside of the engine against the firewall. It's in a difficult, tight place to reach. I stick with the NAPA Gold 1392.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
You think if they recommend a certain filter for your car they would have some sort of liability that it function for your vehicle right?

Assuming it's a reputable filter manufacturer, yes. This is one of the primary reasons why I always recommend against using "oversized" filters that are not specified by the filter manufacturer for a particular application. In the event that there is an issue where the filter causes engine damage, the likelihood of a successful claim against the filter manufacturer will be far less than if the correct filter had been used.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
...A a minimum they are a thread and physical match..

This. Add similar sealing gasket dimensions. Beyond that if you're interested in getting a specific adbv type, nitrile vs silicone, and perhaps an efficiency spec, need to check the specific filter manufacturer information. OEM efficiency information is generally proprietary.

As for liability, assume you mean filter warranty. Most reputable brands are warrantied for the vehicle manufacturers recommended oci/fci. Even the quick lube jobber tier filters would have to be covered that long. That said, I'm not referring to oversizing from the spec filter here when talking warranty. That would/could likely void the filter warranty. Fram rep has said that the first thing they check on a filter claim, is for correct application.

Some filter manufacturers do have their own 'recommendations' for a specific fci max, which you should keep in mind especially if you're running extended ocis. Ideally in the aftermarket filter you would like to see similar characteristics to oem, like silicone adbv if the oem has it. But even that is not absolutely necessary for a good result, especially on ~5k mile ocis.

I like the Fram lookup. It's pretty comprehensive and is good for accurate part matching or to compare other sites with.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
You know all the different filter lookup tools provided by filter manufacturers? Do you think they are just lining those up by thread size and can size? Or are they actually checking ADBV strength and filtration? You think if they recommend a certain filter for your car they would have some sort of liability that it function for your vehicle right?

Of course, they (talking major brands) warranty the function of the oil filter and will pay for engine damage if it can be proven their product was the cause. So yeah, it's in there very best interest to ensure their recommend filter is going to work right.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Fram rep has said that the first thing they check on a filter claim, is for correct application.

However, the remote mount filter kit they sell recommends a PH8A for every engine in existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back