Red Line 0w-30 03 4Runner V8 160K 10K interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 4Runner, purchased new, area Southern California, no snow, not much rain other than a few flash floods. Coldest temps usually about 30F and not often, maybe a dozen or so days a year.

Red Line 0w-30 160K total mileage 10K interval Mobil 1 M1-209 (longer than stock) filter every other oil change.

Desert driving, towing 5K or so about 10% of the total driving, bumpy dirt roads 25%, around town 25%, highway 50%. In the dirt towing I average 15mpg, and on the highway it's 18 to 19mpg at 70mph or so. I've hit 20mpg a few times but not often.

4.7 V8, street tires, everything stock, about 10K annual mileage with a few long trips with no unscheduled maintenance required. I've done the timing belt, water pump, plugs and serpentine belt at 100K.

Red Line D4 in the transmission and Red Line in the diff.

Usually a half quart at most between oil changes, I watch it real close, no evidence of oil leaks or burning.

Red Line is an excellent DD oil and I could have probably gone to a 15K interval but I'm old and don't like the idea of that much running on any oil.

The only thing I see is the oil thickened up just a bit. What do you think?

Code:

Aluminum 1

Chromium 0

Iron 3

Copper 1

Lead 0

Tin 0

Molybdenum 502

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 2

Boron 50

Silicon 15

Sodium 16

Calcium 2438

Magnesium 6

Phosphorus 933

Zinc 1044

Barium 0

SUS Vis@210F 67.8

cSt Vis @100C 12.38

Flashpoint in F 450

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.1

TBN 3.4

Looks quite good Oneyejack. The oil may not have thickened up and the reason I suggest this is because Redline is thick for its grade. The 0w20 has a HTHS of 3.1 or so. So, I would bet good money this way thick for a 30 to begin with. And holy molybdenum!! 500 plus
smile.gif

I agree with you that this Redline is a good oil for a DD. I hope that you are doing/feeling good my friend. Always good to see you on here.

Last edited:
10K OCI Oil thickening in VII free Redline and Amsoil appears prevalent and normal.

Agree with you that it could go on till 15K OCI probably with this good oil in a well maintained Yota engine.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Looks quite good Oneyejack. The oil may not have thickened up and the reason I suggest this is because Redline is thick for its grade. The 0w20 has a HTHS of 3.1 or so. So, I would bet good money this way thick for a 30 to begin with. And holy molybdenum!! 500 plus
smile.gif

I agree with you that this Redline is a good oil for a DD. I hope that you are doing/feeling good my friend. Always good to see you on here.

Hi,
Guess we've kind of lost touch. I'll give you a call later this week. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks with a bit of a scare. Though it was all coming back but I'm feeling better now.

Hope you're doing well.

OneEyeJack

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fsharp
So much for Red Line oil not being good for extended OCIs. I'm tempted to try some myself.

People that have never used Red Line have advised me that my 4Runner V8 would be done by 100K if I used that "racing oil". They advised me to change it every 2-3K miles and enjoy my 4Runner while it lasted.

The people at Blackstone told me they thought this was the cleanest, lowest wearing 2UZ-FE engine they'd ever seen.

I was also told that the Mobil 1 M1-209 oil filter (longer than stock) would never go 20K miles but they've been doing that for 13 years and 160K miles. I only change the oil filter every other oil change. I was also advised that using the larger filter would be very bad for the engine.

I think that I will thank those people for their interest but ignore their advice. What do you think?

The company 2012 Prius here runs on 0w-20 Red Line (a very thick 20w) and at 340K miles with 10K oil changes and 20K Mobil 1 filter changes.

Sometimes people confuse common knowledge with common sense.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
So much for Red Line oil not being good for extended OCIs. I'm tempted to try some myself.

People that have never used Red Line have advised me that my 4Runner V8 would be done by 100K if I used that "racing oil". They advised me to change it every 2-3K miles and enjoy my 4Runner while it lasted.

The people at Blackstone told me they thought this was the cleanest, lowest wearing 2UZ-FE engine they'd ever seen.

I was also told that the Mobil 1 M1-209 oil filter (longer than stock) would never go 20K miles but they've been doing that for 13 years and 160K miles. I only change the oil filter every other oil change. I was also advised that using the larger filter would be very bad for the engine.

I think that I will thank those people for their interest but ignore their advice. What do you think?

The company 2012 Prius here runs on 0w-20 Red Line (a very thick 20w) and at 340K miles with 10K oil changes and 20K Mobil 1 filter changes.

People who say it is "racing" oil have no idea about TBN in that oil.
I personally have an issue with Redline claims while not carrying any approval (talking about Euro cars) but if I had Toyota that has 0W20 specd, I actually might use it for extended intervals and additional protection. I am really not fan of regular W20 oils.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I personally have an issue with Redline claims while not carrying any approval (talking about Euro cars) but if I had Toyota that has 0W20 specd, I actually might use it for extended intervals and additional protection. I am really not fan of regular W20 oils.

The Red Line 0w-20 in the company Prius is a thicker 20W and we really pile on the miles and there have been no problems, no oil burning or leaks. We watch it real close and there have been 10K intervals in the 340K overall miles where no oil was needed for topping up. The most ever added was about a half a quart.

You're right about one thing. How could an oil that was only good for racing retain such a high TBN?

Red Line 0w-20

Originally Posted By: edyvw

The Red Line 0w-20 in the company Prius is a thicker 20W and we really pile on the miles and there have been no problems, no oil burning or leaks. We watch it real close and there have been 10K intervals in the 340K overall miles where no oil was needed for topping up. The most ever added was about a half a quart.

You're right about one thing. How could an oil that was only good for racing retain such a high TBN?

Red Line 0w-20

I know their oils, they have very strong HTHS for grade.
In my world it is hard to justify RL when you can get some really good oils for less money.
But in W20 grade, I would be tempted to use, though BMW has its OEM 0W20 that looks good.

People love to be downers to and tell you whatever it is your're doing is wrong, bound to fail etc. The 0w-20 is what I would be using if I got some for my Tacoma. $50 a gallon is a lot but I might order some along with my next order from summit or jegs

People love to be downers to and tell you whatever it is your're doing is wrong, bound to fail etc. The 0w-20 is what I would be using if I got some for my Tacoma. $50 a gallon is a lot but I might order some along with my next order from summit or jegs

You can check BMW OEM 0W20 oil in local BMW dealership. I think it is going for $7.85 a liter. It is ACEA A5/B5 and if it is good for hot running turbos in BMW< it will be more then enough for Tacoma.

I still have about 8 quarts of Red Line 5wt, Racing Oil in my stash, compliments of a glitch on Amazon. I've used 4 quarts, in the past OCI's, to thin out some 15w50 M1, full synthetic. I ran a blend of 4 quarts of M1, 15w50 with 2 quarts of the Red Line 5wt in my Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 for 9-10k OCI's with a M1 oversized filter. My engine ran smooth in the summer and never blew up. Never had an UOA or VOA performed on the oil. Now seeing your results with Red Line, I feel confident in running the blend for 10k. Thanks for the post.

I use rl 0w-30 a couple qts every change as an additive spike for regular gf5 sn 5w-30 synths on sale blends. Hasn't blown up yet. Hyundai sonata se 2.0t 2011

Originally Posted By: ebr1190rx
I use rl 0w-30 a couple qts every change as an additive spike for regular gf5 sn 5w-30 synths on sale blends. Hasn't blown up yet. Hyundai sonata se 2.0t 2011

but it probably will...not because of redline but because these Theta II engines have connecting rod issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back