Honda K24 Tapping / Cam galling - what to quiet it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 03 Accord with the K24 and its infamous cam galling on the exhaust lobes. Its been tapping forever, currently has 220K and rising as I drive about 100mi/day. The valves were adjusted about 6 mos ago, but it just keeps getting louder. I dont intend to fix this problem as the car is worth $2k tops, BUT Id like to quiet it down if possible. I currently, as always, run Valvoline synthetic 5w20. Since its a VTEC, I dont think its wise to just dump a bottle of Lucas in it and cross my fingers. The car still runs perfect, no misfire codes, no power loss, just an annoying tap. What viscosity could I run that may quiet it a little while not risking side effects? Thank you, any and all on-topic input is appreciated!

You could use a 5w30 with no issues, and probably even a 0w40. Make sure to keep OCI in check and there will be metal floating around that you need to flush out periodically.

OCI is 3-5,000 miles depending on when I get around to it. Magnetic drain plug also. I dont think 5w30 would help anything, the 0w40 may though. Thank you for your input!

Next oil change, run Rotella T6 5W-40. I've been running it in my 2009 Accord with a K24Z2 for a couple of years now. Besides a touch slower starts when it's -10 outside, there are no adverse effects. My car runs smooth and powerful, I don't experience any negative effects whatsoever.

The Rotella, or any HDEO will have a healthy dose of zinc, which may assist in your application to quiet down your top end noises. The higher viscosity will also provide some additional cushion. RT6 5W-40 is on the heavier side of a 30wt and is a full synthetic. Usually around $22 per gallon at Walmart.

Last edited:
You could just turn up the radio. Ha Ha, great first post huh. Just kidding. With 220k on the clock a little bit thicker oil couldn't hurt. Maybe up the grade to a 10w30.

The T6 is a good idea, I wasnt sure if a 5w40 was pushing it, but I was also considering a 10w40 as well.

And yes, great first post, lol. It does have a nice stereo in it, its a requirement on any car I spend a lot of time in. But its on the verge of embarrassing when I start it in public.

Try a different brand in a 5w-30 to see what it sounds like. I love Valvoline products but Synpower in our Sienna makes the engine really "ticky" also. You can hear the valves tapping at idle and low RPM's, it drives me crazy! Change to Castrol or whatever and it goes away, smooth and quiet.

Not saying that changing brands will 100% solve the noise issue as you have mechanical issues, but it may help.

What to do to quiet a galled camshaft is to replace the camshaft and followers/lifters/adjusters (whatever it has).

Anything else is a fools errand.

I have read on here how Redline works good on that last bit of varnish because of the esters in its chemistry. That may be worth a try for an oil change or 2, see what happens.

Very simple. Magnetec 5w30. In the past (API (SL/SM) it would be 10w30 rotella T3 . I don't like T5.

15w40 HDEO/ DIESEL is ridiculous on a modern 4 cyl.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
What to do to quiet a galled camshaft is to replace the camshaft and followers/lifters/adjusters (whatever it has).

Anything else is a fools errand.

As noted in original post, I am NOT fixing the problem. Putting $2k into a $2k car is a fools errand. Last time I did that to a high mileage motor, I chased problem after problem that may or may not have been related to replacing all that stuff. Come to find out after I sold it only a few months later, the motor quit on the guy who bought it. So yea, Im not going that route

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I think the T6 5W40 was a good suggestion. I'd consider that, or a HM 5W30.

Yes, I think I will start with the T6 5w40 and see how it goes

Originally Posted By: 91e30181
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I think the T6 5W40 was a good suggestion. I'd consider that, or a HM 5W30.

Yes, I think I will start with the T6 5w40 and see how it goes

That would be my first choice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back