missing/stuck open thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up an 03 century on Tuesday, and while I've been going through a list of small maint. items, I've noticed that the temperature of the radiator never gets up to normal operating temperature. Even after a spirited 20 miles through town doesn't get it up past about 1/3 from cold.

My only thoughts were bad temp sending unit, but there's no CEL for it, or no/bad thermostat.

At idle, it doesn't go up past one line *below* where it's at in the photo below.

Thanks everybody.

It's a PITA to get to the thermostat housing, so I thought I would ask the internet before taking everything apart to get to the t-housing.

Looks normal to me for a GM of that vintage. You could always pick up a cheap OBD2 blue tooth scan tool and use the Torque app to read engine coolant temperature to confirm.

Need to use a scan tool to see what temperature it's actually running at. The gauge can show one thing and the temperature be another.

The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor screws into the thermostat housing on the 3.1L/3.4L and is easy to change if need be.

The thermostat is a pain.

03 Century, 3.1 V6 104,443 miles.

Radiator is currently filled with distilled water and flush. Coolant was FF, so getting out the ooey gooey that was left behind.

RE: Bluetooth OBD reader. I can't seem to find anything under $50 for iPhone. Happen to have one in mind?

I've never had a car that didn't operate at half between hold and cold, so it's quite possible I'm being paranoid.

Thax, that wrench is pure magic, thank you!

My Malibu and my Taurus sit in the same exact spot and dont experience any problems. The taurus on the other hand takes forever to warm up, but when it does it blows HOT. So the taurus needs a t-stat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Looks normal to me for a GM of that vintage. You could always pick up a cheap OBD2 blue tooth scan tool and use the Torque app to read engine coolant temperature to confirm.

This, when I got my LS400 the temp gauge was not working but the engine temp sensor was OK, car ran fine, thermostat was functioning normally when checked using torque app
Replaced temp sender and we r all good

Last edited:
That's where all the instrument panel coolant gauges indicated when the thermostat has reached normal temperature in GM vehicles I've owned through the years.

Flush it out. 50/50 coolant and put the car to use.

Whelp, I suppose I fretted for nothing.

Thank you everybody!

Recalculating,
I plan to put it to good use, no worries! Moms church friend finally retired hers at 310,000. I'm going to try and best her with 325,000.

Maybe mine runs hotter than yours, but my 02 Century will pass the halfway mark easily until it hits 220F then the second fan comes on. It will not go past halfway if I'm moving and getting air over the radiator but sitting still it will.

I have the small temp gauge on mine though because my car has the cluster from a regal with tachometer so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

If I'm running the Ac which keeps the second fan going it usually stays right below the halfway mark perfectly.

I'm starting to think my radiator isn't as efficient as it used to be which is why it runs hotter in certain conditions. These cars have tiny radiators if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
My Malibu and my Taurus sit in the same exact spot and dont experience any problems. The taurus on the other hand takes forever to warm up, but when it does it blows HOT. So the taurus needs a t-stat.

If your Bull is a 12v pushrod iron block, "Vulcan" V6, this can be considered normal

I own one, did everything possible to improve the heat

They just take a while to heat up, nature of the beast

As long as you get scalding heat when up to temp, your fine

To OP, put a OBD2 reader on it, see the real temps

At the age and mileage, a thermostat and temp sensor wouldn't be out of line, Delco preferably

May need to get a scanner on it. The F350 always reads at the first notch on the gauge, always cold.

Obviously, being a ford it's a fake gauge. It's actually running right at 180.

SirTanon,
Indeed, please see attached. Other than a light fading on the front bumper, the only cosmetic issue is in photo 2.

Tommiee,
It will actually cool down a notch. I only managed to get to the halfway point by holding down the accelerator.

Miller88,
Indeed that will likely be what I need to do just to ease my mind.

Thank you!

Other than a code for traction control from an unplugged speed sensor, some goo in the radiator, and that femder, she's almost perfect.

The interior fabric is all intact, no damage to the dash or console, and just a little wear on the steering wheel.

It threw a cel for the front o2 sensor, but that's a quick $30 fix.

I'd call this $300 very well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back