The best commercial string trimmer money can buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 5 professional trimmers 3 Stihl and 2 Husqvarna. If I had to choose just 1 it would be the Husky 525LS. It has been ran hard and never once given me a moments trouble. It cranks super easy and has instant throttle response. It also has an adjustable carburetor if you have a splined screwdriver.

The Stihl FS94R is also a great lightweight trimmer with an adjustable carburetor. The only problem I had with it is that the head bolts came loose but some threadlocker fixed that. It starts and runs great.

I have a new Stihl FS111RX 4-Mix. It's still too new to tell but it starts and runs great. The low end torque made by this trimmer is awesome. It will turn over 9100 RPM with 9" of string out the head. It's a tad heavier than the other trimmers I already mentioned.

I always run Speed Feed heads on my trimmers. They allow you to load line really fast without taking the head apart.

Bottom line whatever trimmer you get make sure you have a servicing dealer nearby. Good luck on your search for a trimmer.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Stihl FS100RX. Will be buying a 3rd shortly. Power to weight is magnificent. The 4-MIX engines get a bad rap from some, but we are sold on them. Superb commercial trimmer.
RE: the Maruyama suggestion above---see if you have a dealer nearby. We have a Maruyama backpack blower that is wonderful...would definitely give their trimmers a try if the closest dealer wasn't a 2+ hour drive. They may well be the best built, just haven't tried running one/ergonomics.
Whatever you get, be sure that it will accept a "Speed-Feed head" designed by Shindaiwa, and you'll thank me later.

Check out the FS111RX witch is the replacement for the FS100RX.

I think the srm266 echo is the best out their if you don't mind it being a bit heavy. I don't know how echo does it, but you can't hardly tell it's running. Now I got tired of the ext 1.5 pounds, believe me when you use them everyday it wears on you. I recently bought the new srm2620 standard non torque model. Other than some vibration just above idle it seems pretty good. No complaints yet. I don't usually buy a new model trimmer, but I wanted a light weight trimmer and this one fits the bill. Lighter than any 4mix stihl. Also the echo's do require a carb adjustment after about 50-70hrs. It starts runmening too lean and it will just die. Thought I blew the clutch the first time it happened, but every new echo, doesn't matter what it is needs to be adjusted after a short period of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Had a Stihl and an Echo. The Stihl was about $150. The Echo was about $220. The Echo is a lot better. More powerful, heavier line, runs. The Stihl is at the dump.

Can the echo use brush blades?

...and as for the "best" it is "whoever has the most service dealers in the area" Time is money and you cannot afford not to have a service shop(s) that are open. Full time techs are invaluable.

I've got an Echo SRM230 and have used the brush cutter attachment on it. No issues in the 5+ years I've owned it.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Had a Stihl and an Echo. The Stihl was about $150. The Echo was about $220. The Echo is a lot better. More powerful, heavier line, runs. The Stihl is at the dump.

Can the echo use brush blades?

...and as for the "best" it is "whoever has the most service dealers in the area" Time is money and you cannot afford not to have a service shop(s) that are open. Full time techs are invaluable.

I've got an Echo SRM230 and have used the brush cutter attachment on it. No issues in the 5+ years I've owned it.

These answers are somewhat dependent on whether Merkava wants the option of a brush blade....and the type of trimming he will be doing. The FS100(111)RX is made with an ultra light shaft that is not suitable for brush blades. But if you are doing hours and hours of grass and weed trimming (commercially) per week, it is my choice...big power, very light.
However, if you're doing an hour a week at home, but want the option of clearing brush in your overgrown woods, then Stihl's biggest (but heavy) Kombi would be better. (Just using Stihl models for an example)...the "best" depends as much on type you need (Ferari vs 4x4) as it does brand.

husqvarna and stihl make HD brush cutters for professionals, I would one of those brands. The HD models trimmers are generally the timber models but with a longer shaft and different angle cutter head to allow better ergonomics and higher productivit for trimming.
You can buy either one of those brands, but pay extra attention and pick the best harness -regardless of brand- !!! The harness is what determines ergonomics to a large degree.

Best?

Longest lasting? Lightest? Most power? Easiest to use? Most trouble free?

That's a loaded question that only you can answer. I am a Stihl fan and I always buy new and I usually buy more machine than I need but I have never been disappointed.

I picked up a FS130 last year...what a beast!!

If you plan to use it a lot, I recommend the shoulder harness and the handlebars. I have back issues and it made a world of difference to me.
2016-07-10%2018.41.10-L.jpg

A commercial user will also take into account dealer support...

We've had Stihl and Echo trimmers over the years, all good. So when the local dealer had a sale, I picked up a FS90R and I'm very pleased. Is it the lightest, no. Is it a suitable brush cutter, no. It starts every time, uses almost no gas, is balanced and just works for the 30 min a week I might use it.

For 4 stroke I would suggest Honda or Makita. I own a Dolmar MS256.4. Its the same engine at the Makita. It's a commercial grade. I also own a Husky 324 with the Honda GX25. The Honda runs smoother but the Makita has more power. The cutting head on the Husky is far superior to the Makita as well.

For 2 stroke, someone else said Husky 525 series [l,ls, lst] and I agree with them. I would also think any Red Max Zenoah engine trimmers are likely the same quality. I think Husky 525 actually uses the Zenoah engine since Husky owns Red Max.

Forget to add, Stihl makes a good product, but I will never own their product because you can't get parts diagrams and they do not allow you to buy parts outside dealer network aside from maybe an air filter, for example. I like to to my own service/repair and this rubs me wrong.

I never recommend anything for residential use other than Echo. You have to admit though, when you see the trailer full of mowing equipment, being pulled past you at an inappropriate speed, on their way to their next job, it's Stihl hanging on the racks 8 out of 10 times or more.

I've sat and listened to many horror stories from people who used anything other than Stihl or Echo commercially. Red Max is a brand at the center of many of those stories.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
I never recommend anything for residential use other than Echo. You have to admit though, when you see the trailer full of mowing equipment, being pulled past you at an inappropriate speed, on their way to their next job, it's Stihl hanging on the racks 8 out of 10 times or more.

I've sat and listened to many horror stories from people who used anything other than Stihl or Echo commercially. Red Max is a brand at the center of many of those stories.

Everyone has their horror stories about every brand. I agree that Stihl is hanging on the trailer most often, perhaps some of this has to do with service/repair. I bet a majority of it has to do with service/repair/sales close by. I'm sure the Stihl dealer will out number a Makita deal 1000:1, for example. If i was a guy doing commercial lawns, and i didnt have time to do my own repairs/service i would lean towards a close dealer with excellent service as well. Seems like Husky does better in the South as far as dealers/repair/service. Redmax dealers are basically dying off. I live in the midwest and stihl dealers out number everyone else by a large margin. Probably 10 stihl dealers/service repair near my town and 1 Husky dealer 30 miles away...

Last edited:
My experience with Stihl handheld ope has made me a fan but I doubt you could go wrong with any of the quality brands.

I have an 94R that is truly a joy to use. It's comfortable, powerful, and lightweight.

I really wanted to like Honda's trimmers but they are just too heavy.

Originally Posted By: Rab6715
Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960

Everyone has their horror stories about every brand. I agree that Stihl is hanging on the trailer most often, perhaps some of this has to do with service/repair. I bet a majority of it has to do with service/repair/sales close by. I'm sure the Stihl dealer will out number a Makita deal 1000:1, for example. If i was a guy doing commercial lawns, and i didnt have time to do my own repairs/service i would lean towards a close dealer with excellent service as well. Seems like Husky does better in the South as far as dealers/repair/service. Redmax dealers are basically dying off. I live in the midwest and stihl dealers out number everyone else by a large margin. Probably 10 stihl dealers/service repair near my town and 1 Husky dealer 30 miles away...

I see the same thing in Oklahoma City. Lawn crews with Stihl units all over their trailers. And like the others mentioned, Stihl is sold at every mower shop here too. Redmax is dead.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Maruyama. Made in Japan super quality. Makes Honda, Echo, Stihl and everything else look cheap. Like using a diecast aluminum clutch housing, polished solid steel driveshaft, threaded shaft, chromemoly helical cut gears supported by sealed ball bearings, hard chromed cylinder, forged chromemoly crank and connecting rod, stainless steel muffler. My brother bought one last year and it's impressive. It doesn't have the stupid top top safety bar you gotta push down on to give it gas. You can pull up on the throttle and press in a fast idle button to let it warm up on its own if wanted. They have a few different sizes, up to a 42 CC monster.
http://maruyama-us.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2016_MARU._OPE_Brochure_1-40Pgs_10.30.15_LO.pdf

Originally Posted By: slomo
Maruyama. 5 year COMMERCIAL WARRANTY. Message ends.

+1
Superior quality and warranty. Extremely durable, built like a tank. Runs smooth and strong.
I own one myself and have had it for over 20 years. It has been absolutely flawless, no repairs whatsoever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Maruyama. Made in Japan super quality. Makes Honda, Echo, Stihl and everything else look cheap. Like using a diecast aluminum clutch housing, polished solid steel driveshaft, threaded shaft, chromemoly helical cut gears supported by sealed ball bearings, hard chromed cylinder, forged chromemoly crank and connecting rod, stainless steel muffler. My brother bought one last year and it's impressive. It doesn't have the stupid top top safety bar you gotta push down on to give it gas. You can pull up on the throttle and press in a fast idle button to let it warm up on its own if wanted. They have a few different sizes, up to a 42 CC monster.
http://maruyama-us.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2016_MARU._OPE_Brochure_1-40Pgs_10.30.15_LO.pdf

Originally Posted By: slomo
Maruyama. 5 year COMMERCIAL WARRANTY. Message ends.

+1
Superior quality and warranty. Extremely durable, built like a tank. Runs smooth and strong.
I own one myself and have had it for over 20 years. It has been absolutely flawless, no repairs whatsoever.

Stihl and Echo warranty is not even close to Maruyama. I won't buy another brand. Had mine for three years going on four. Haven't even cleaned the spark plug. Only put fuel in her. Runs like a champ.

my wife bought me a husqvarna for christmas this year.

I had been using a 18v black and decker piece of garbage for the past two years.

I really enjoy the gas trimmer, such a huge upgrade.

It doesn't get used every week, so I started buying the trufuel for it, I don't use a ton of fuel so that makes sense for me, and I don't have to worry about it spoiling.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Warranties on small OPE are over-rated... if it doesn't blow right away, usually stale-gas kills it and not manufacturing defects.

You would be surprised at what the commercial guys can do to a trimmer and how many hours they can put on them in 5 years. Maruyama comes with a 5 year COMMERCIAL warranty. This should give you some idea about their superior build quality and durability. I can personally attest to this.
The downsides to Maruyama are that they are not cheap and their dealer network is not extensive (like Echo and Stihl). They are way more trimmer than the average residential homeowner user would ever need. But, if a person wants to purchase the best and never have to buy another one, IMHO Maruyama is THE ticket.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back