replacing only 2 tires - front or back is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well now it's confirmed - I'm so [censored], really -

we actually went back and forth about it for a few mins; as I said, he talked me into putting them on the front - why on earth? This was an older man, someone who I would expect would have just a wee bit of knowledge about cars - and he's working in an automotive shop!!!

yes, I DO sometimes have a bit of a slide from the back - there's a turn I have to make on a route I use where it is both a turn and an uphill climb at the same time - if I'm not careful, I can feel my rear end sliding off a bit - traffic is also sometimes heavy there so one has to accelerate as well -

it is handling well with the tires on the front (so far) but being as it's spring, we're due for some storms -

honestly - I don't know what to say - I will be extra careful and hope all is well until I get 2 more tires on the back -

New tires on the rear recommendation is based on the premise that best grip on the rear promotes understeer which is safer than oversteer.

Originally Posted By: barryh
New tires on the rear recommendation is based on the premise that best grip on the rear promotes understeer which is safer than oversteer.

oh you aren't telling me something I didn't already know - I just haven't bought 2 tires only - maybe ever - and definitely not for a truck -

whatever - hopefully it will all be fine and I'll get a couple more in April as originally planned - will have to be more adamant next time - sheesh -

thanks!

I got a single replacement once after my tire blew out. I got a prorated warranty replacement from the tire shop where I bought it. They said they wanted to put it on the rear, but I insisted on the front. It was barely within Subaru's recommended tire wear difference, and putting the new one on the rear meant the tire size difference would only be getting bigger as I drove.

I really only did that for rotation reasons.

I never got the tires on my wife's car rotated, but that's front-wheel drive. I just had the new tires put on the rear and the old ones on the front. The old fronts did have a lot of edge wear though.

It's really pretty simple. Always buy 4 new tires, keep them rotated to keep tread depth/wear equal, and when those are toast, buy 4 more, and do the same. I've been doing that for 50 years with no tire problems. It all comes down to attention to basic details. Plus,I ALWAYS run 8 winter/summer tires on every vehicle in my family. FYI, I try to be the certified Tire Industry Association (TIA) certified instructor I'm supposed to be.
It all comes down to the "Circle of Traction Law", which everyone should learn about. hint...hint

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back