TV calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, we bought a new LG 49" TV. Best Buy suggested their calibration service for only $249.
I said no.
After some research I found Disney's WOW. It apparently walks you through the process.
Has anyone calibrated their TV or is it hype?

The Heathkit TV I built in 1968 came with a built-in color bar generator and directions to calibrate it. However I am thinking things have changed since then.

If you search your model number using Google, there are people who post optimal settings for the television.

I have a 50" LG Plasma and it has a stupid amount of adjustment capability. Not everyone wants the same adjustments. Most people wanna watch things with the colors oversaturated. Pro TV adjusters like things tamed down. If I were you, play an old movie on Blu-Ray like Planes Trains & Automobiles. For whatever reason, I've found it easier to calibrate a new TV with movies shot in the 1980's as the color accuracy, saturation and contrast was more realistic vs todays fakedom.

A bit off topic but speaking of Heathkit, I build a Heathkit AR-1500 tuner/amp. Had it for 30 years until it was damaged in moving.

I miss that kind of stuff. Gone with the wind.

Does anyone say yes to this tripe? Is this just messing with the contrast and brightness?

I bought a laptop on black friday. They were out of the $199 ones (shocker) but had $399 ones that were the same model but "hopped up by geek squad". I told the checkout chick I didn't want that and magically she was able to undo it.

32.gif
Geek squad just sticks a USB in that has a batch file that makes arbitrary windows registry changes that purportedly perk things up better than microsoft ever dreamed.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Hey all, we bought a new LG 49" TV. Best Buy suggested their calibration service for only $249.
I said no.
After some research I found Disney's WOW. It apparently walks you through the process.
Has anyone calibrated their TV or is it hype?

What a rip-off.

What the TV tech at Best Buy likes in his viewing eyeballs, may be different than what you like.

When we turn the TV on and view the pic across several different channels, we may tweak the pic, but not overhaul it. Just remember where the multiple beginning settings existed..... and only mess with one setting at a time. So that way, we can easily return the settings to their original place, if need-be.

In the old days you'd calibrate a TV by putting up NTSC color bars. "Black" was 7.5 IRE and the little rectangles at the bottom ("Pluge bars") would be set up so the 5 IRE would disappear into the 7.5 but the 10 would be "very dark grey".

Then you'd put a blue filter over the shebang and make the top parts alternate evenly.

Takes a minute with analog knobs, maybe 10 minutes with a remote and stupid menus.

Who knows, maybe BB corporate does this with every model they buy, then have a secret database for their setup people to just cut & paste numbers into new TVs. Or maybe they have a test signal generator in every store.

Still a rip off. Set your TV to what your eyes like, or watch a youtube on how to do it.

bars_ntsc.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
In the old days you'd calibrate a TV by putting up NTSC color bars. "Black" was 7.5 IRE and the little rectangles at the bottom ("Pluge bars") would be set up so the 5 IRE would disappear into the 7.5 but the 10 would be "very dark grey".

Then you'd put a blue filter over the shebang and make the top parts alternate evenly.

Takes a minute with analog knobs, maybe 10 minutes with a remote and stupid menus.

Who knows, maybe BB corporate does this with every model they buy, then have a secret database for their setup people to just cut & paste numbers into new TVs. Or maybe they have a test signal generator in every store.

Still a rip off. Set your TV to what your eyes like, or watch a youtube on how to do it.

bars_ntsc.gif

I never knew that that is what that was for.

This thread reminded me I needed to run the anti image retention on my plasma. It is getting burnt from falling asleep watching Netflix.

Last edited:
If the grass is the right color green on the golf channel and the flesh tones are right on the nightly news, what's there to adjust....

If it looks fine to your eye, leave it alone.

Not sure how good best buys service is. But most tv do need some adjustment. From a simple change in displaying type from vivid to normal and adjusting down brightness. Look at a pro reviews of tvs and see how much adjustment some tv need to be truly accurate. But that is not needed for most people. I do use recommended settings other people post on forums. Ymmv

Yes I have used the "WOW" and also there is a short one on the bluray version of "The Incredibles" that works fairly well. I know using one can reduce the wattage on plasma.
There is a pro device that sticks to the screen(about $300) and gets the balances corrected and high end tvs will come done. My Samsung plasma came that way but the LG needed a fair amount of tweeking.

TV's come out of the box way too bright so they look good on the showroom floor.

Usually, the Cinema mode is a good start for the warm colors you want for a movie. It usually lowers the color temp, turns down the sharpness and increases contrast. My Panny plasma theater mode got me close. Just a little tint change and a little less color was perfect.

You may find your tv model was tested by an AV magazine or PC mag. They publish the setting they use for their testing.

I took a great interest in this back in the early 90's. I used color bars + filter on VHS tape, then LaserDisc, then DVD. My CRT TV color scale was quite off. Adjusting it meant removing the back and individually adjusting the trim pots with a hot chassis!

Adjusting a set is MUCH easier now!

Some need it, some don't, it depends. However, you won't know until you check it. I find many with white/black level problems, chroma too hot and screen distorsion (stretch). This all makes it painful to me to watch.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The Heathkit TV I built in 1968 came with a built-in color bar generator and directions to calibrate it. However I am thinking things have changed since then.

About 15 years latter I decided the Heathkit TV had served its time and I put it outside by the dumpster with cart and a 8" high pile of manuals. Someone took the cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back