How often should I start my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't realize engines could go *that* long safely without being ran. Makes my life easier.

No dice on a corded battery charger. I'll unhook my battery. Or.. Now that I think about it. Perhaps a solar battery maintainer? Do the $30 ones on Amazon work worth a darn?

If you have an outlet nearby, I'd recommend this. BatteryMINDer Model 12117: 12 Volt 1.33 Amp (12V 1.33A) Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator It's a great tool at an amazing price ($24.00 free shipping no tax). I got mine a few weeks ago and use it often on my car. If you don't have an outlet nearby then the solar ones are okay. I'd be wary of their warranty. Battery minders come with a whopping 1 year money back guarantee and a 5 year warranty for replacement from date of purchase.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
For short term storage (6 mo. or less), I start my vehicles on the first of each month, so its easy to remember. This makes only six starts in a half year. This keeps battery charged, and the gas is still plenty fresh enough.

That does not charge the battery. You need a long drive (hours) to really recharge a battery.

Thats news to me. I have done this over 10 years and never, ever had a battery problem with this. My batteries last their normal lifespan in every case. What is the source of the statement you made?

DON'T start the car unless you run it for 30 minutes at least...
...at least that's what I do for my snowbird neighbors...and I make sure when returned to their space that the tires are not sitting on the same spot!

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't realize engines could go *that* long safely without being ran. Makes my life easier.

No dice on a corded battery charger. I'll unhook my battery. Or.. Now that I think about it. Perhaps a solar battery maintainer? Do the $30 ones on Amazon work worth a darn?

You have to watch because some of those charge through the 12v aux power port and not all of those are live when the key is off.

I had found one that was much more than $30, probably $60 or 80 but it direct wired to the battery. I went the cheaper route because I could get a cord to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back