F1 update with Scarbs and Windsor, parts 1 and 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I continue to enjoy these back and forth YouTube discussions with Peter Windsor and his tech buddy, "Scarbs" (Craig Scarborough) leading into 2017. Good stuff and insider views as well. Windsor mentions the possibility of Bernie "graduating" that Garak reported in the part 1 video as well. I watch it on my TV so I don't have a URL handy. So do a search with the words in the subject line. Another one is titled "Ferrari's F1 rule clarification". Getting razzed for Melbourne!

Originally Posted By: billt460
I've always liked Peter Windsor. I've always felt the post race driver interviews started to lack something after he stopped doing them.

Same here. I like the podium interviews since it is a cool thing for fans, but I prefer the post race press conference from years past.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I've always liked Peter Windsor. I've always felt the post race driver interviews started to lack something after he stopped doing them.

Same here. I like the podium interviews since it is a cool thing for fans, but I prefer the post race press conference from years past.

Me too. Windsor just had an easier manner and spent more time on the grid before the race without being annoying. I also miss Bob Varsha. The replacements on the US programs (NBCSports) are OK but I miss the former guys. But, since I'm now a cord cutter, I can't watch them anyhow and have to depend on SKY for a low res and small screen for live coverage.

I think everyone would agree that Windsor is a top notch commentator and that his long tenure with F1 gives him a depth of experience that few others enjoy. However, the current coverage team on NBCSN is very good. Witness Indycar coverage.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I like the podium interviews since it is a cool thing for fans, but I prefer the post race press conference from years past.

As do I. The post race podium "interviews" are really nothing more than a waste of time. It's very hard to hear above all the screaming and yelling. And more importantly, many of these "guest interviewers" have all but zero knowledge of F1, and ask dumb questions. Their prerequisite is only that they are well known, and like to watch it. I understand why they went to podium interviews, but it really reduced understanding the race from the drivers perspective. Listening to Windsor do post race interviews in a conference room setting, was always a learning experience, even for the most seasoned F1 viewer.

And as was mentioned his calm demeanor, combined with his massive in depth knowledge of F1, along with his slow paced, deliberate grid walks were far less annoying, and much easier to watch than Buxton running a foot race with a camera man in tow, while acting like he's O.D.'d on coffee. You can tell from some of the looks he gets from the drivers and team managers, by the way he breaks into an interview before a race, many of them look more annoyed than pleased.

And more importantly, many of these "guest interviewers" have all but zero knowledge of F1, and ask dumb questions. Their prerequisite is only that they are well known, and like to watch it.

Let's analyse that. The 2016 list of podium interviewers:

Australia: Mark Webber (former F1, now WEC driver)
Bahrain: David Coulthard (former F1 driver, now pundit)
China: Kai Ebel (German F1 commentator since 1992)
Russia: Mark Webber
Spain: Placido Domingo (opera singist)
Monaco: Martin Brundle (former F1 driver, now F1 commentator. Actually suffered a heart attack running from the TV commentary box to the podium, then carried out the interview, then went to hospital and eventually had heart surgery)
Canada: Michael Douglas (actist)
Europe (Azerbaijan): Eddie Jordan (former F1 team owner, now F1 commentator)
Austria: Noemi de Miguel (former football (soccer) commentator, new to F1 commentary)
British: Mark Webber
Hungary: Kai Ebel
Germany: Kai Ebel
Belgium: Mark Webber
Italy: Eddie Jordan
Singapore: Martin Brundle
Malaysia: Mark Webber
Japan: Kai Ebel
USA: Gerard Butler (actist)
Mexico: Juan-Pablo Montoya (former F1 and Indy racer)
Brazil: Martin Brundle
Abu Dhabi: David Coulthard

So, we have 4 former drivers, 1 former team owner and 1 long-term F1 commentator. This leaves one new F1 commentator and 3 actors. Over 21 races, 4 interviews were by people you could describe as not experienced in F1 (although I wouldn't go as far as saying "zero knowledge of F1"). So 80% of the interviews were by well-known and well-respected F1 pundits.

Originally Posted By: weasley

And please tell us what business did either of these 2 have conducting driver interviews? Except for as I said. They're known, and they like to watch it. I believe Dolly Parton is a fan as well. Is she next? It's bad enough we have to listen to Hollywood actors political opinions. Now we're forced to listen to them conduct post race interviews? Give me a break!

And as was mentioned his calm demeanor, combined with his massive in depth knowledge of F1, along with his slow paced, deliberate grid walks were far less annoying, and much easier to watch than Buxton running a foot race with a camera man in tow, while acting like he's O.D.'d on coffee. You can tell from some of the looks he gets from the drivers and team managers, by the way he breaks into an interview before a race, many of them look more annoyed than pleased.

I like Will Buxton, he can be a little high strung at times, but there are all types. I enjoyed when Townsend Bell filled in for a couple races, I met him at an IndyCar race in Fontana when he was working for NBCSN, really cool guy. I met Paul Tracy, Leigh Diffey, and Steve Matchett at the Fontana IndyCar race a few years ago, also very cool guys. I was bummed I didn't have one of Steve's books in my backpack for him to sign. BTW when you congratulate Paul Tracy on winning the 2002 Indy 500 he smiles and shakes his head.

So 80% of the interviews were by well-known and well-respected F1 pundits.

Into which category does Eddie Jordan fall?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

Outlandish clothes horse.

And please tell us what business did either of these 2 have conducting driver interviews? Except for as I said. They're known, and they like to watch it. I believe Dolly Parton is a fan as well. Is she next? It's bad enough we have to listen to Hollywood actors political opinions. Now we're forced to listen to them conduct post race interviews? Give me a break!

I never said they were ALL F1 insiders but I did challenge your comment that "many of these "guest interviewers" have all but zero knowledge of F1". As you can see, mathematical analysis concludes that a significant majority of the interviews were conducted by respected F1 insiders.

The podium interviews are entertainment for the masses, conveniently happening whilst most TV coverage is still running - if you want incisive and insightful commentary, watch the post-race media interviews.

Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

Like him or not, you can't ignore his history in the sport and his undoubted ongoing connections therein. At least he has character!

Like him or not, you can't ignore his history in the sport and his undoubted ongoing connections therein. At least he has character!

I was hoping for one more opportunity for someone to bring his name up in front of Ron Dennis to see his reaction, but those days are now past.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back