F1 Oil and fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
G-Man II,

Thanks for the additional info. The TMO I bought in Europe (cira 83-84) was a 10W30. Wish I had kept a bottle for posterity...it was expensive...about $11-$13 a litre as I recall.

G-Man II,

Got this definition from the Shell Global solutions database: XHVI® - Shell synthetic eXtra high viscosity index oil;. why do they refer to it as a synthetic?

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
G-Man II,

Got this definition from the Shell Global solutions database: XHVI® - Shell synthetic eXtra high viscosity index oil;. why do they refer to it as a synthetic?

Two reasons, I think: First, Shell engineers believe that isomerization of a waxy feedstock into a base oil is, in fact, yielding a "synthetic" base oil. Second, more and more of the waxy raffinate being used as the feedstock for XHVI is generated from Shell's GTL (gas to liquid) synthetic process. Hence, what you've got is a synthetic feedstock which is isomerized into a "synthetic" base oil.

TNX G-Man II...got to watch those waxy ruffians, though!
wink.gif

pscholte, there is no doubt that what is being used by these teams many times is not what is in the bottles at Walmart. However, M1R and Amsoil S2k are being used by some race teams.

These oils have high additive levels well beyond API restrictions as your well aware of. The Shell oil probably has very high ZDP levels and other things. I do find it interesting though that they use a Grp IV/III blend base oil and not a group V, that is if this article is correct.

I guess proprietary formulas and intellectual property generate a lot of concerns for the majors, plus they probably get pressure from the auto manufacturers to "say all the right things," but it surely would be nice to see one of the majors with all their research experience give consumers (especially ones like us) a "motor oil bottom line to date" based on their research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back