Question about used 2009 Prius Hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a friend of mine is looking for a car, we looked at a few today.

Looked at a Toyota Hybrid from 2009(touring package, leather interior, etc...) with ~81k miles too. First owner and has maintenance records from the dealership. as well as a clean carfax and in really good condition. Tires are good, aux battery has been replaced in last 2-3 years and all.

We test drove and it seemed fine. No noises or any jerkiness or any weird things.

Question, I have never looked at one. Since it's a used one, would we be concerned about the Hybrid battery? As I researched battery seems to be good for a LOT of miles.

Any other know issues or problems for this 2nd Gen Prius? Or any other advice? Thanks for the help and suggestions
smile.gif

We can make a deal on it for ~$6.5k, is it a decent price and pull the trigger or?

I drove an '07 decked out prius, and just loved it. I would buy a used one with maint. records without any issues. There are enough of them on the road now, that getting a used or reman replacement battery isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg anymore.

Check out priuschat, I got so much solid advice from there when I needed it.

The only thing I'd check up on is the price, autotrader has many 09's with similar mileage listed for $9k-13k, including with the same package.

Sorry, I am not on priuschat. But just curious, how much does it cost for a used/reman battery? Seems like ~$1000-$1500, right?

So it means $6500 seems like a great price, I guess? Because of history and clean carfax, as well as 1 owner.

Sounds like a good deal. Used hybrid batteries are not that expensive. It's very rare where I live for a hybrid battery to go bad, but I live up north. Virginia should be a decent climate for a hybrid battery but you always have to have some available cash on hand just in case. That of course goes with any modern vehicle... My '04 is an absolute tank I'm close to 200k miles on her now and I've only had to change the coolant control valve, two rear brake jobs, one front brake job, two blown speakers, and an emergency brake piece. Impressive when you realize this vehicle is a full time delivery car... Pizza at night and courier during the day. I've never owned a car that has even come close to standing up like this. The doors still shut like it just came out of the factory...

Originally Posted By: dino33
Sounds like a good deal. Used hybrid batteries are not that expensive. It's very rare where I live for a hybrid battery to go bad, but I live up north. Virginia should be a decent climate for a hybrid battery but you always have to have some available cash on hand just in case. That of course goes with any modern vehicle... My '04 is an absolute tank I'm close to 200k miles on her now and I've only had to change the coolant control valve, two rear brake jobs, one front brake job, two blown speakers, and an emergency brake piece. Impressive when you realize this vehicle is a full time delivery car... Pizza at night and courier during the day. I've never owned a car that has even come close to standing up like this. The doors still shut like it just came out of the factory...

That's super impressive!!!!

BTW, how difficult or expensive is a brake job(f and r). It might need brakes in 10,000 or so miles.

Thanks very much. Yeah if I 'google' hybrid battery some of them are going between $1,000-$1,500. Also, because of the price there's still some cushion in case battery goes south, which I highly doubt because recent dealership report suggested battery is good.

Last edited:
1000-1500 should get you a reman battery, there is even a company that makes them slightly higher output for a little more, but you shouldn't be needing one for quite a while, failures are not unheard of but they aren't commonplace either. I think the hybrid system warranty is 150,000/10 years. There is also an extension for the IPS but I can't remember how long (10 years I think).

Mine is a 2007 Touring that pretty much fits your description otherwise except it doesn't have leather. I wouldn't sell it to you for anything like 6.5K.

Make sure it is actually a touring, larger rear spoiler, 16" wheels, different suspension. Search prius chat for more details (you don't have to join) many allegations back in the day of dealers selling regular cars as touring.

It was extremely common at the time for dealers to put aftermarket leather in them, the clue is usually lack of a leather rimmed steering wheel. A touring with leather would be the highest package (all least in 2007) and they were hard to find (which is why mine does not have it). If the leather isn't factory then figure out what package it is.

HID bulbs are prone to failure, plan on having to change them if they have not already been done.

Mine has had at least 3 recalls, make sure they have been done if they apply to the 09.

It is completely and utterly devoid of any driving excitement, though it corners well.

Brake jobs are like any other vehicle with lots of available options. Basically an hour to hour and a half job. If your friend does pull the trigger it would be a good idea to clean the hybrid battery cooling fan out so that it is running optimally to cool the battery down on hot days. There have been some failures in hot climates because the cooling fan became plugged with pet hairs, etc and could not cool the battery down... Also, might want to change the tranny fluid more frequently than Toyota recommends for maximum longevity...

Originally Posted By: RichardS
my apologies, for some reason I read it at $16,5. Disregard that bit. And yes, it's roughly 900 to 2k for a reman or new battery

No problem, thanks for your input.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
1000-1500 should get you a reman battery, there is even a company that makes them slightly higher output for a little more, but you shouldn't be needing one for quite a while, failures are not unheard of but they aren't commonplace either. I think the hybrid system warranty is 150,000/10 years. There is also an extension for the IPS but I can't remember how long (10 years I think).

Mine is a 2007 Touring that pretty much fits your description otherwise except it doesn't have leather. I wouldn't sell it to you for anything like 6.5K.

Make sure it is actually a touring, larger rear spoiler, 16" wheels, different suspension. Search prius chat for more details (you don't have to join) many allegations back in the day of dealers selling regular cars as touring.

It was extremely common at the time for dealers to put aftermarket leather in them, the clue is usually lack of a leather rimmed steering wheel. A touring with leather would be the highest package (all least in 2007) and they were hard to find (which is why mine does not have it). If the leather isn't factory then figure out what package it is.

HID bulbs are prone to failure, plan on having to change them if they have not already been done.

Mine has had at least 3 recalls, make sure they have been done if they apply to the 09.

It is completely and utterly devoid of any driving excitement, though it corners well.

I guess, you are DA MAN. I truly appreciate your help and input
smile.gif

My buddy is a family man, with kids and all. Doesn't really care about excitement at all. Lol

All recalls are up to date and done. Engine bay was clean too.

Here are the pictures for the options, based on your description definitely seems like a touring one:

image hosting 10mb limit

free upload pictures

upload pics

adult picture hosting

I actually think my 06 Civic EX definitely has a bit more excitement than Prius.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Yep that is the same package as mine with port installed leather.

After driving mine the Civic VP seems like a rocket.

I think that is a good price. I'd want like 9500-10,500 for mine, even though I don't really like it...

Good luck.

I think that is a good price. I'd want like 9500-10,500 for mine, even though I don't really like it...

Good luck.

Thanks, so it clearly means it's NOT a true touring or a real one which you were talking?

Lol on the 'rocket'. That's why I am not buying from ATL, because it's expensive over there
laugh.gif

I was going to say the 2010+ are the way to go, with a bit more power, more mpg and eliminating the sole belt even, but for that price, condition, and miles, I would jump on it for a commuter car.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I was going to say the 2010+ are the way to go, with a bit more power, more mpg and eliminating the sole belt even, but for that price, condition, and miles, I would jump on it for a commuter car.

Thanks very much, 2010+ is more $$$$ and way beyond his range
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Good luck.

Thanks, so it clearly means it's NOT a true touring or a real one which you were talking?

Lol on the 'rocket'. That's why I am not buying from ATL, because it's expensive over there
laugh.gif

Yes it is a true touring, but it is aftermarket (Port) leather so it is not the top package (I'm reasonably certain that was the ONLY difference in a package 5 and 6).

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Good luck.

laugh.gif

Yes it is a true touring, but it is aftermarket (Port) leather so it is not the top package (I'm reasonably certain that was the ONLY difference in a package 5 and 6).

Thanks, this Prius has package 5, just by looking at the brochure shared by the owner.

Yep it shows Touring in the model on the factory sticker as well as package 5 on the factory sticker (there were 6 packages on a Touring and 7 on a std Prius)

The Distributor (Gulfstates Toyota) installed the leather and the some other accessories once it arrived here.

That is a loaded car, has JBL, NAV and indash changer, VSC, smart key LOTS of stuff on a touring with PKG 5.

They might have changed it by 09 but mine will not bluetooth stream music and it won't control an iPod without an aftermarket adapter. Mine doesn't have a USB/Aux port but again that might have changed by 09.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back