Expected lifetime of Techron fuel system additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a lifetime to these fuel additives similar to fuel itself? Months or years? I have some unused bottles bought on sale last year.

Gasoline needs to be treated with Stabil or something else if it's going to be around for months. Sort of makes sense to me that a fuel system cleaner might have a shelf life too.

Many of those containers are sealed and capped. I wouldnt be terribly worried; at the same time I wouldnt want to hoard too much flammable solvent in my basement either.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Gasoline needs to be treated with Stabil or something else if it's going to be around for months. Sort of makes sense to me that a fuel system cleaner might have a shelf life too.
I have never used Stabil and have never had a problem even with 2 year old gas in the pressure washer.

Chevron doesn't seem to reference a specific shelf life for Techron in the gasoline engine formula but references a 24 month shelf life for the diesel version. I've often come across a reference to a 4 year shelf life for motor oil that's given by the manufacturer.

I would think that the composition of Techron would likely make for a shorter shelf life so that 24 months might be appropriate. I could speculate that there wouldn't be much difference in a sealed 36 month old bottle and a sealed 24 month bottle that's stored properly...but I'd still try to go by the manufacturer's recommendations if I wasn't sure. I don't think there's any issue with a bottle of Techron that's a year old.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Many of those containers are sealed and capped. I wouldnt be terribly worried; at the same time I wouldnt want to hoard too much flammable solvent in my basement either.

People keep hard liquor in their homes...

Started with 6 bottles, and down to 4. Looks like I'm fine for 18 months. Thanks for the inputs.

Fwiw, I did have a few bottles of Winn's Fuel System Cleaner from 1985 that came with an engine warranty package I stupidly purchased back then. I ran across it in the garage last summer and decided to get rid of it - 3 to 4 oz per fill up in my daily driver. That didn't appear to cause any problems after 31 years. No unusual smells when the seals were removed.

I am not worried about a PEA based cleaner "expiring".

full-4879-864-2016_08_22_08.26.03_small.jpg

I am good for the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back