Is this paint overspray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: THafeez
what filter is this... looks like a fram ultra 3600?
21.gif
if its a champion it could be that residue from the coating they put on the filter

Yes.

FU XG3614

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
It neither wipes off or scrapes off with a finger.

Could be some kind of glue. Its not rust.

Im guessing its overspray, when I looked carefully at the side I can see some overspray on the gasket, Im guessing this filter was jarred a bit and ended up getting a bit of spray?!?!?

Pull the gasket off and see what's underneath. Filters are painted before the gasket it installed. It could be the sealant they use on the base plate. If it's not rust it should scrape off and the metal below should be like new - ie, no rust pits.

Nothing under there I can see , there is a red colored rectangle shape inside the lip, probably an index of some sort, but I fail to see any significance or relation to this coloration, too dark to take any shots now will update in the AM when I have the power of sunlight aiding my cellphone cam.

Im simply curious at this stage.

UD

If it's not rust, I am betting it's that brownish sealant/ protection stuff you see around the seams on the base plates.

I bet dlundblad is correct here. I believe one of my filters has this on it as well. I am thinking it was my Mobil one filter.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If it's not rust, I am betting it's that brownish sealant/ protection stuff you see around the seams on the base plates.

I think you nailed it.

UD

I got an ultra with overspray too. Returned it. Looked similar to this. It had the ultra can gold sparkle. If it's paint it won't come off that easily because well if it did you'd see paint cracks on the can. So it could be overspray or that sealant, though I've only seen sealant like that on Mobil 1 and Royal Purple filters, built by Champion. Either way nothing to worry about
smile.gif
they're all great filters.

The reason Im saying sealant, is that this has none of the glitter that was in in the paint.

Im surmising it was much lighter in shade initially as I inspected it, and my 50 year old eye can still see but maybe arent as sharp as they used to be and I bless dit. Pretty sure the hot oil wash for 15K turned it darker and hence it stands out more.

This Fram model and I I are still on great terms.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back