Mercedes Benz Certified Lubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y_K

Didn't want to distract the most magnificent tribologists from their Pentosin soiree..

MB is very particular to the format the labels shall state their approvals, based on their certification procedures. Saying 'meets MB 229.5' is one thing, but when a lubricant went through their certification channels it shall state that in the following format: "MB-Approval 229.5"

For example, Chevron Delo ESI grease carries MB-Approval 265.1

here is the list for MB-Approval 265.1 for illustration purposes

+1
thumbsup2.gif

So simple to select an oil for an MB car. Find the MB spec for your car, look at the "bevo" site to see if an oil you are considering is listed. If it is, go for it!
If not, select another. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: claluja
MB 229.5 approval list

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

On that list, MB shows an approved Mobil 1 5w-30 FS....similar to the 0w-40 FS. I didn't realize there were "FS" oils at lower grades. Must be a Euro only thing? I'd use a 5w-30 FS instead of the 40 grade if it were available at the same pricing.

In Europe they still use old VISOM based, probably due to BMW LL-01 approval. It is possible that that one is coming to the market in the future.

Not to distract from the OP, but I have a question about 229.51 approval...

I am located in Canada, where we have a large auto parts chain called Canadian Tire. They have an in-house private label brand called MotoMaster. I recently discovered that they have a "European Formula" 5W-30, which on the rear of the bottle states "suitable for use where Mercedes-Benz 229.51 specifications are required." That comes along with a list of other OEM specs such as VW 504.00 and 507.00 and BMW Longlife-04.

Now, this oil does not appear on the aforementioned "bevo" site, and technically only says suitable for, not approved for.

So the question is, would you use it? What's everyone's take on this oil?

229.51 and LL-04 specs are for diesel engines. It does not have the approval of Mercedes or the other brands which means this oil was not tested to their spec, or it was tested and failed. Sometimes the tests are too expensive. Whatever the reason is, if your car calls for it, get the approved ones. Euro spec oils are generally more stout and held to a higher standard.

Originally Posted By: BennyL
"suitable for use where Mercedes-Benz 229.51 specifications are required."

That sounds like a case of "meets the requirements of" meaning they have self certified the oil rather than paying to have it tested and approved. We tend to turn our nose up at oils that are self certified to a manufacturers spec like 295.51 but then we are happy to accept an ACEA spec which are always self certified. The oil may well be fine I suppose it depends how much you trust them. If it's a reputable outfit I'd use the oil.

I'd use it if out of warranty. At least one of Canadian Tire's Euro examples does, however, have formal approval. There certainly are some actual approved options available on Canadian shelves, including at least one with the dexos2 spec, for instance, being the Castrol example.

hmmm, I guess I wouldn't take the risk. Although it is tempting, the savings aren't big enough to justify the leap of faith. I saw it on sale for $40 for the 5L jug. Reg price is $47. I'm currently purchasing certified Motul x-clean for $50. I think I'll just stick to that.

That'll work. Considering you're in Canada, the Castrol variety should be easier to find than you think. Of course, package sizing and pricing is always the issue with some of these oddball specs. What you paid for Motul is good for up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back