Revisiting my use of Lubro Moly MoS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not that interested in what the oil condition is. The engine on this 22 year old car has more than 180k miles on it without having ever been opened up, and it sat unused for much of the year before I bought it over four years ago with 137k miles on it, probably contributing to oil control rings that don't work so well any more. It burns oil at the rate of about a quart ever 1200-1500 miles and the oil gets really dark pretty quickly, so even though compression numbers seem to be pretty good and even, there's enough blowby that I can feel it out of the oil filler cap when idling. The engine health is okay but not great, which is why I tried the MoS2 in the first place. I'm not sure what an oil analysis could really tell me, and it's really the precipitated particles that I'm interested in.

The oil change will be in the next couple of weeks and I'll put some MoS2 back in it to see if the particles come back.

Last edited:
The oil analysis would tell you if the MOS2 is causing more wear, or less wear, than regular engine oil. Again - all you're doing is spreading misinformation with your post. I'm sorry, but it's true.

Originally Posted By: KenO
The oil analysis would tell you if the MOS2 is causing more wear, or less wear, than regular engine oil. Again - all you're doing is spreading misinformation with your post. I'm sorry, but it's true.

I think you need to read this thread again. I made **NO** claims as to increased or decreased wear, only that there was a correlation between oil changes where I did or did not use MoS2 and did or did not see particles in the oil that was drained.

Therefore, I have spread no misinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back