Our cells should be called Nickel-Graphite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
“Our cells should be called Nickel-Graphite, because primarily the cathode is nickel and the anode side is graphite with silicon oxide… [there’s] a little bit of lithium in there, but it’s like the salt on the salad,” the CEO explained.

Musk said that the amount of lithium in a lithium ion battery is about 2% of its total volume and that “lithium in a salt form is virtually everywhere… there is definitely no supply issues with lithium.”

http://benchmarkminerals.com/Blog/elon-m...ickel-graphite/

Anyone who understands intercolation battery technology would realize that the electrodes are not the electrochemically active materisl the way they are in say, lead batteries.

For stationary, i think there is a play for Li-ion, but its repurposing them after vehicle end of life. Also, LTO type batteries can have enormous cycle life and superior charging rates. For static infrastructure, the sodium battery family seems a somewhat better choice.

A certain former GM CEO recently described Telsa (on the back page of the latest issue of R&T ) as the biggest cash burning operation in the world.

Somewhere in my wanderings this week I had seen an article about a company that feels it has a chemical process sorted to harvest lithium from seawater but I can't find it.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
A certain former GM CEO recently described Telsa (on the back page of the latest issue of R&T ) as the biggest cash burning operation in the world.

That's hilarious coming from a former GM CEO.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
The electrolyte of the Li ion battery is also a Lithium salt in a solvent.

Typically LiPF6 in a carbonate blend with additives. Certainly not majority Li salt.

Originally Posted By: OldEuroCarLover
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

That's hilarious coming from a former GM CEO.

But he should know, shouldn't he? It WAS Bob Lutz that made the quote. I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back