-25c this morning, vehicle will not start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero with the 3.8 V6.

It's been -20c to -30c all week I've used the remote start every morning before I take my daughter to kindergarten. However, this morning I tried to remote start it I noticed the engine started and dark smoke came out of exhaust then it stalled about 4-5 seconds after. The engine tried to start again, then same smoke and stalled shortly after again. It tried to start for the third time but it was unable to start.

I dressed up and went outside to check it out. Engine cranks over fine, no weird noises, but will not start.

- Battery is one month old Kirkland unit, 775CCA I believe, lots of juice left when I tried to start the motor.
- Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and serpentine belt were changed last week at independent shop. It is an interference engine.
- Motor has 170k km and non of the ignition has been changed.
- Fuel pump may have been weak, cold start in the summer took 3-5 cranks.

I tried to listen to the fuel pump noise with key turned but honestly not 100% if I heard it or not.

Going to try to diagnose it tomorrow. Planning to check the fuel pump fuses and relay, check if timing belt spins when cranked, and for spark. I don't have a tool gauge to monitor fuel pressure. What else should I look for?

It's the weekend and all the automotive shops are closed. Was talking to some friends and they think it may be frozen fuel line or flooded engine. I've put some gas line antifreeze in and waited 10 minutes but still nothing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Black smoke would point to it being flooded, can you clear it with the pedal to the floor? Obviously let off it it catches.

Over 100,000 miles and original spark plugs? I'd start there. Black smoke means rich, although a weak pump could (I guess) fail to spray through the injectors properly.

Does it sound like it cranks at the usual speed? In the cold it will be a bit slower, but does it sound reasonably fast?

Can you push it into a garage that is warm? Plug in the block heater maybe...The old timers used to drain the oil out at night and put it on a stove to keep warm.

On my 1975 Dodge Van I had to slide a Coleman camp stove under the oil pan for a few hours at -40. She fired right up after that.

I always had trouble with remote starters starting engines at extreme low temps. Not sure way that was, but I dont use them any more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Black smoke would point to it being flooded, can you clear it with the pedal to the floor? Obviously let off it it catches.

I've tried to clear it with the pedal to the floor but still nothing. It may have been too flooded and not enough time for the plugs to dry out yet. The battery was also starting to weaken. If it was indeed flooded do you think I can wait it out or would I have to take the plugs out to dry? It's not going to get warmer anytime soon, forecasting -20c to -15c for the next week or so.

Motor has 170k km and non of the ignition has been changed.
- Fuel pump may have been weak, cold start in the summer took 3-5 cranks.

Check for spark. Check for fuel pressure. I think fuel pressure may be absent it started and burned what residual fuel pressure you had, and now you may not have any.

Originally Posted By: supton
Over 100,000 miles and original spark plugs? I'd start there. Black smoke means rich, although a weak pump could (I guess) fail to spray through the injectors properly.

Does it sound like it cranks at the usual speed? In the cold it will be a bit slower, but does it sound reasonably fast?

It did crank at the usual speed this morning. But I tried it again couple hours ago and the battery was getting much weaker.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Can you push it into a garage that is warm? Plug in the block heater maybe...The old timers used to drain the oil out at night and put it on a stove to keep warm.

On my 1975 Dodge Van I had to slide a Coleman camp stove under the oil pan for a few hours at -40. She fired right up after that.

I always had trouble with remote starters starting engines at extreme low temps. Not sure way that was, but I dont used them any more.

I may be able to push her in later next week, long story... >_< Will plug the block heater in overnight and see what happens.

+1
I'd bet money that this in an ignition problem.
Plugs are due for a change. Does this thing have a distributor or is it coilover?
Ignition wires are also due for a change if they're used and ignition coils damaged from having to fire across an excessively wide gap from worn plugs could be needed.
99% sure this an ignition system problem not related to fuel delivery.
The black smoke indicates plenty of fuel was delivered. It just wasn't well enough ignited to allow for a start followed with sustained running.
The OP might try cranking the engine over with the loud pedal on the floor.
This would clear any excess fuel and would possibly allow the engine to start.
-25C isn't cold enough to cause starting problems with any SI engine in a decent state of tune as long as the starter and battery are healthy.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
+1
I'd bet money that this in an ignition problem.
Plugs are due for a change. Does this thing have a distributor or is it coilover?
Ignition wires are also due for a change if they're used and ignition coils damaged from having to fire across an excessively wide gap from worn plugs could be needed.
99% sure this an ignition system problem not related to fuel delivery.
The black smoke indicates plenty of fuel was delivered. It just wasn't well enough ignited to allow for a start followed with sustained running.
The OP might try cranking the engine over with the loud pedal on the floor.
This would clear any excess fuel and would possibly allow the engine to start.
-25C isn't cold enough to cause starting problems with any SI engine in a decent state of tune as long as the starter and battery are healthy.

It's coilover. I have 6 NGK iridiums sitting in the garage. Was planning to swap them out and do the valve cover gaskets at the same time since the intake plenum had to come off for both but kept procrastinating over it. We were getting record highs in November and I thought I had plenty of time but we know how that story went lol...

Was the same temp here this AM. First time for me to fire up the transit in the cold and it took a couple more cranks than when warmer. Old trick to warm the engine compartment up was and hope not to again, slide a pan of hot charcoal under the engine. Warms the oil up nice and about an hour or so everything is pretty toasty but so much plastic under the cars these days have to be extra carefull. Saw a Ford Escape on fire on the freeway today.

He has a block heater, so no need for the old school tricks...It will fire right up when plugged in... Remember all vehicle are Female, and we know how they like the cold...

I always had trouble with remote starters starting engines at extreme low temps. Not sure way that was, but I dont use them any more.

Sounds like a good way to burn the car down.

Sorry about that!
Sucks to put off a project thinking that you'll have good weather to complete it and then have the bottom drop out of the thermometer.
We had a warm November here as well and actually hit nearly 80F one day, but it's been below 20F the past few mornings. Nothing like as cold as what you're seeing, but still an unpleasant reminder of what may be to come.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Barwich
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1. Do an OBD scan for active/pending codes.

2. Download FSM: http://mitsubishilinks.com/fsm/montero_fsm_2003_full.zip (165 MB)

Will check in the morning. Have OBDII scanner with DashCommand app. Had one code months ago for plugged secondary cat. It was only on for 30 minutes then the light went off and have not come back on since.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Was the same temp here this AM. First time for me to fire up the transit in the cold and it took a couple more cranks than when warmer. Old trick to warm the engine compartment up was and hope not to again, slide a pan of hot charcoal under the engine. Warms the oil up nice and about an hour or so everything is pretty toasty but so much plastic under the cars these days have to be extra carefull. Saw a Ford Escape on fire on the freeway today.

On fire? I like warmth but not that warm lol.

This particular SUV has a skid plate on the front to protect the diff and the oil pan is situated above the diff. To access the oil pan for OC I have to remove the skid plate along with a second cosmetic under tray. It's PITA.

He has a block heater, so no need for the old school tricks...It will fire right up when plugged in... Remember all vehicle are Female, and we know how they like the cold...

Lets hope. My Xterra had no such thing installed and trying get one in is next to futile:(
Hopefully once the OP gets it running the old girl can have ignition system renewed and maybe a battery blanket too. Looks like its going to be a very cold Decemberrrr.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Sorry about that!
Sucks to put off a project thinking that you'll have good weather to complete it and then have the bottom drop out of the thermometer.
We had a warm November here as well and actually hit nearly 80F one day, but it's been below 20F the past few mornings. Nothing like as cold as what you're seeing, but still an unpleasant reminder of what may be to come.

Yes indeed. We were +18c or 20c around mid November, which was near all time high I think. I was foolish enough to think the good times will keep rolling but alas, this is Alberta and if you don't like to weather, wait 5 minutes.

We have an extreme cold warning here tonight. Low of -28c but with possible 40km/h winds we are looking at wind chill of minus mid forties.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Alternator?

Will add that to the list for tomorrow. There was some noticeable alternator whine prior to timing belt service and oddly it went away after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back