Is it safe to spray Krown/Carwell on radiator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Radiator corrosion can be an issue, and I want to spray the radiator support, which is known for rust issues on my car. But if any gets on the radiator, will it cause any harm?

I would guess the only harm would be that the radiator is now a little bit less effective if you get rust proofing on it. It shouldn't hurt an aluminum radiator.

I would cover the radiator up as much as possible.

Last edited:
I think a wax coating could impede the ability to radiate heat, restrict airflow, and attract dirt. I say get any over spray off the core fins.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
if any gets on the radiator, will it cause any harm?

It will eventually gather soot and dust and grit, which will coat the fins and block them. As long as the affected area is just a few square inches, you're fine. But it's best to block off the rad with a piece of cardboard or something while spraying.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I think a wax coating could impede the ability to radiate heat, restrict airflow, and attract dirt. I say get any over spray off the core fins.

Krown is not a waxy product. It is a relatively thin oil.

I would loosen the upper radiator brackets and possibly the fan shroud so you can lift the radiator up and get some plastic or cardboard between it and the radiator support. That rustproofing will attract all kinds of junk that will reduce the cooling.

What model car is it?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I'm a FF user.. So if its closer to that its NO in CAPS lol

I'm afraid if I try to remove the old radiator, I might not be able to install a new one since the radiator support is rusting. The radiator support rusting is a VERY common problem on these cars, and very expensive to replace!

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
I would loosen the upper radiator brackets and possibly the fan shroud so you can lift the radiator up and get some plastic or cardboard between it and the radiator support. That rustproofing will attract all kinds of junk that will reduce the cooling.

What model car is it?

a 4th gen Maxima

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I'm a FF user.. So if its closer to that its NO in CAPS lol

I don't really know what to compare it to. It is thicker than WD40, but still very thin. My rad was probably exposed to it every year, it never bothered to stick around on the rad and certainly never caused any issues.

I wouldn't particularly worry, but it will make the radiator more prone to catching fine dirt.

I wouldn't worry about it, but if its a concern, why not paint the stuff on instead of spraying?

They make special long-handled cranked brushes for painting the backs of domestic radiators, or you could probably improvise on coat-hanger-and-rag/bit of foam lines if access is awkward.

You aren't going to need fine brushwork, and if the stuff creeps you wont need 100% coverage

Yes it will be bad news due to fumes in the engine bay, so don't drive along in the engine bay.

PS: One word, WAXOIL!

Last edited:
I wouldn't spray it, but I wouldn't worry either. It's not going to stay there forever; the heat of the engine (coolant) will likely boil it off in short order, I'd think. If worried, wait until spring and if it's still there, pressure wash off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back