Look what acid buildup do to filter media

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil has additives to deal with acids. If the TBN is so low that acid is attacking filter media, what is it doing to the bearings?

Can this post be believed to be accurate?

Originally Posted By: Donald
The oil has additives to deal with acids. If the TBN is so low that acid is attacking filter media, what is it doing to the bearings?

Can this post be believed to be accurate?

Add pack depleted maybe?

Super brittle ... good think it didn't start coming apart while in use.

its a cheapo cellulose media filter.. maybe just a really extended interval.. say 3years 20000miles?

I ran a lot of "cheapo" filters 16-20K, dissected maybe half of them, and never had that (or any other) sort of media failure.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
The filter did its job

It probably did before the ginger beer dropped it in the mud, then used his big mits to crush it.

Looks like one of the new Fram inserts ??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Run
Looks like it was baked in the oven for a few hours.

Clearly hard to tell, but that's probably a factor.

The big power transformers are paper/oil insulated, using kraft paper (that brown glossy stuff from kindergarden), and a fairly pure oil with low additive levels.

As it ages, acids attack the lignin(???I think) that is like the glue that binds the cellulose fibres together...making them brittle.

But higher temperatures also do it, and pretty markedly.

Degraded transformer paper flakes off just like that, so acid yes, temperature (maybe an overheat), and maybe wrong oil in the first place.

I don't buy his story. Header below the video says filter was in use for 11,200 km. That's exactly only 7,000 MILES. Even a cheap filter and cheap oil combination would do a lot better than that.

Media reminds me of some of the Puro Pure Ones I've cut apart, had a Casite do that too-since there's no ham-handed fingers hitting it in operation, it's not going to do that in operation. Synthetic media is still better.

Originally Posted By: Run
Looks like it was baked in the oven for a few hours.

Agree. Hard for me to believe/accept that the result is strictly from a ~7k mile oci/fci. Seen many cellulose based filter anecdotes posted here run that long and longer with no similar issue noted or shown.

Makes me wonder about the storage and age of the filter prior to use. Likely no factor, this one has no adbv and appears to have no integral filter bypass. Not a combination generally seen.

Supposedly, The oil was Mobil 2000 X1, and the oci was below 7.5k miles (11,200 kms). Maybe lots of short tripping.

But the guy is an experimenter ... I take with a grain of salt, maybe litterally, kkk.

I've seen that oxalic acid is a pretty good AW, too ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

It's a Mann made in Germany. Your favorite and recommended filter.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

It's a Mann made in Germany. Your favorite and recommended filter.

Ahh! Just spray with WD40 and use again.

When you can't see the pleats for black or brown goo, then change it.

PS: Always use new seals!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back