[Cut Open] Fram Filtration XG7317 Ultra 19,428 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
XG73173a.jpg

XG73173b.jpg

XG73173c.jpg

XG73173d.jpg

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Looks beautiful. What was the application and oil used?

2005 Honda Civic D17A1.

Mobil 1 0W-20EP (2 OCI)

Fram Ultra and Mobil 1 is a great choice i don't think there could be a better combination..
Did you say you have 19,000 miles on the vehicle or on the oil change... Any make up oil used?

Wow, these filters have incredible quality for the price. I just bought a pack of 6 on ebay for $4.60 a filter. Easily 2 years worth of oil changes with how much I drive.

Originally Posted By: Macgyver452
Wow, these filters have incredible quality for the price. I just bought a pack of 6 on ebay for $4.60 a filter. Easily 2 years worth of oil changes with how much I drive.

The only "complaint" I have with the Ultras is they are hard to get off compared to the filters I've used over the years. After 2 years... hmmmm

Thanks for the pics. Not trying to be a wise acre, I'm genuinely curious, but with the ultra type filters what exactly would you be able to see that would be evidence of it not hanging in there for that mileage? With wire backed pleats they can't move or tear, etc. I have ultras and Napa Platinums in all my cars at the moment because I like to do long intervals like you do but I'm not sure if I'll cut it apart afterwards since I'm not sure what I'd be looking for. I guess I could see how much crud is in the can. With a regular filter I like to see how wavy the pleats are, or tears.

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
Thanks for the pics. Not trying to be a wise acre, I'm genuinely curious, but with the ultra type filters what exactly would you be able to see that would be evidence of it not hanging in there for that mileage? With wire backed pleats they can't move or tear, etc. I have ultras and Napa Platinums in all my cars at the moment because I like to do long intervals like you do but I'm not sure if I'll cut it apart afterwards since I'm not sure what I'd be looking for. I guess I could see how much crud is in the can. With a regular filter I like to see how wavy the pleats are, or tears.

I would question the ADBV after a while. Not a huge deal, just anal about startup rattlers.

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
Thanks for the pics. Not trying to be a wise acre, I'm genuinely curious, but with the ultra type filters what exactly would you be able to see that would be evidence of it not hanging in there for that mileage? ...

It is a legitimate question - I like to see what is in there, check the ADBV, seal on the bypass, anything out of the ordinary it might have caught. After drying out (which this one is doing now) I think you can get some idea of how dirty it is and also can shine a light through the media to check for any defects.

Thank for the post. Based on this, I have no reservations going two oil changes on my daughter's 2009 Fit (should be in the ~15-18,000 mile range)

IMHO you really can't judge this filter unless you dissect it. Is there dirt trapped down in the pleats or near the end caps? When I examine a filter, I cut the media off the center core and stretch it out, looking for holes as I hold it up to the sun. You might be surprised.

UOA looks good, Seems you could do 12,000 miles on the oil and 24,000 on the filter.

I don't know if I could go that long personally, even though I know it could (but for me, that would be 3-4 years of driving for me).

XG73173e.jpg

XG73173f.jpg

After drying.

No sign of holes under light or any significant crud in the bottom of the pleats.

I'm open to suggestions about how to get the media off of it in a condition where an examination will reveal any thing. Side cutters don't seem to cut the backing cleanly...

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Did you say you have 19,000 miles on the vehicle or on the oil change... Any make up oil used?

Sorry missed this:

The oil filter has 19,428 miles on it, that is 2 oil changes, the car has about 160,000. No make up oil.

Yeah the Fram Ultra is a great filter.. I was a hard sell on fram but now i have installed many of them with great success it is my go to oil filter.. I just hope Fram does not change its design and go with louvers because that will force me to not use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back