Laptops these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My solution was to go with a low-mid range gaming laptop. Decent processor and screen, lots of RAM, lots of video card RAM, and lots of cooling capacity.
My guess is that it will be fast enough to outlive two or three generations of $4-500 laptops, but who knows.

Originally Posted By: csandste
Install Linux Mint, Ubuntu Mate or any one of a plethora of Linux distros on your present machine and be happy!

+1 for the above comment. I used to use Fedora (because I use Red Hat at work) and now even I use Ubuntu at home. For a regular Linux user Ubuntu out of the box and a visit to the software store for free stuff as extras is perfectly fine. You really only need to compile code if you want stuff that isn't readily available and I don't see regular users needing to do that.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I'm a big fan of Sony. They cost more, but I've always had the best of luck with them.

I was a big fan of the VAIO line.... now Sony does not do laptops, sold the laptop business.

For a low end gaming laptop... the Dell Inspiron 7000 series at around $850 is the cheapest I've found. There are cheaper Inspirons, but they are are "home and office" laptops or 2in1's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: horse123
Gaming on a laptop is absolutely ridiculous and it's for dbag college students whose mommies and daddies buy them everything. Get a desktop to play games on.
Didn't your mommy and daddy buy you a brand new Subaru?

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I'm a big fan of Sony. They cost more, but I've always had the best of luck with them.

I have an OLD VAIO laptop that my neighbor gave to me. Fresh install of XP (lol) and it runs very nicely. It has the nicest display I've seen on a laptop.

As far as new stuff goes, I've always salivated over these Alienware PCs:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-17-laptop/dkcwg03hcombo

That one's pretty expensive but they have starter models (13) that are a lot more affordable. And... I just realized that Alienware is under "Dell" now. I wonder if the stuff is as top-notch as it used to be?

I adapt any gaming I do to my current machine's capabilities. Right now my 'daily driver' is an 8 year old Toshiba laptop with a junk battery. My FIL gave it to me as he bought a new one. Wiped Vista off and put a fresh copy of 7 Ultimate and it runs great. More than enough for my Diablo 2 habit!

Im not going to pretend I know anything about laptops, but my wife bought a Alienware 17 for VR and it works very well. VR is all its used for. Though we arent big gamers. But VR is so fun.
I prefer using my Macbook Pro for most other stuff.

What's your budget and what games do you want to play?

I had an Asus G750. 17.3" 1080p screen, dual internal hard drives, 16gb ram, decent enough graphics card. Thing was built like a tank, heavy but never overheated on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back