Motorcraft FL910S 9054mi 2004 Lexus ES330 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone here is the Autoposy of the FL910S from my 2004 Lexus ES330 that the girlfriend drives for her 108mi daily commute. Filter was on for 9054 miles and the oil was 4 quarts of M1 (SM) 5w30 and 1 quart or redline 5w30 all leftover oil from my Corvette and Supercharged Tacoma. No drama here. Nothing to see at all in the media or can, the few dark specs in the can were press marks and a few tiny rust spots. Filter came from Rock Auto a while ago (over a year) and wasn't in a box. Pennzoil Ultra PurePlus 5w30 went in (thanks Pennzoil) with a Fram Ultra filter.

No idea how to decode the manufacture date.

The ADBV was soft and pliable. These filters continue to impress me. But I elected to go with the Ultra as I'm planning a 10k run on the PUPPP.

#Pennzoil

Thanks again to Gena and the Pennzoil team, looking forward to the UOA!

Looks real good. Made April 15, 2015 also. New MC 910-S filters use louvers, just don't tell crazyoildude
smile.gif

Thanks for cut and post fellow Navy veteran
34.gif
10.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Way too few holes in that center tube. Just can't be good.

I am just kidding around
smile.gif
this filter does look pretty doggone good. Great job with this cut and post.

I was a little worried what I might find with so many miles. But this engine seems to be pretty low drama in terms of demand on the filter so probably nothing to worry about. Had I cut the filter first another one would've gone back on for this OCI. Oh well, this will be my first time using an ULTRA and my first Fram since 1999.

Originally Posted By: car51
Looks real good. Made April 15, 2015 also. New MC 910-S filters use louvers, just don't tell crazyoildude
smile.gif

Thanks for cut and post fellow Navy veteran
34.gif
10.gif
thumbsup2.gif

No worries. The last one from the previous OCI with just under 7,000 miles looked just as good. At least as of 18 months ago these were still a quality filter. Hopefully they stay that way!

Was still golden brown on the dip stick, filter was lighter colored in person than the pictures showed as well. Like I mentioned above this engine appears to be fairly easy on oil. In half (or less) the miles my 4Runner oil comes out much darker.

We have an '02 and that is how the oil comes out after 7,500 miles. It is the easiest car on oil I have ever seen.

I also ran the MC filters for a while, until I had one leaking down and the ADBV failing. I am now also loving the Ultra Fram. BTW, I have found the M1 HM 10w30 to be superb in this engine. It is very robust and SL rated, and in FL, that weight would be great for you (her).

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
We have an '02 and that is how the oil comes out after 7,500 miles. It is the easiest car on oil I have ever seen.

I also ran the MC filters for a while, until I had one leaking down and the ADBV failing. I am now also loving the Ultra Fram. BTW, I have found the M1 HM 10w30 to be superb in this engine. It is very robust and SL rated, and in FL, that weight would be great for you (her).

How long are you planning to run the Ultra?

I'd take a guess that if its rated for 15k miles for 99.9% of cases, then on these engines it could be good for 30k miles.

OT, I had a 2005 Lexus ES 330 as a company car and it was one of the best built cars. They don't make Lexus' the same any more!

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

I'd take a guess that if its rated for 15k miles for 99.9% of cases, then on these engines it could be good for 30k miles.

I plan on running the filter for one 10k OCI with the Pennzoil PUPPP and performing a filter autopsy and UOA as part of the SOPUS promotion. As a gesture of appreciation to Pennzoil the replacement oil will also be PUPPP for including me in the make the switch program.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

I am going to take it off after 2 ocis- 15k. I will cut it open and evaluate if I want to go more in the future.

Complete aside, but I watched a P8A on short final in the Boeing Field today.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Boeing is cranking them out pretty quickly, Australia took custody of their first one last month and I think we're taking delivery of 12/year currently. We honestly need them faster than Boeing can make them.

OT but it seems the Chinese have great respect for the new platform as they appear to be intercepting/harassing them more than they did even the P3's. Same for our hydrographic research vessels. No reply required, just an anecdotal observation of mine. Y'all be careful out there and God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back