Kreen worked and then stopped working? WTH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A member sent me a pm about Kreen, but I haven't heard from him and I'd like to stay active until he has a free moment.

I have an 06 Subaru Tribeca with a boxer engine (3.0 H6 EZ30d) that blows plumes of blue smoke at startup only and is consuming about a quart every 800 miles.

The thread is below:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4219872/1

So I tried Kreen by putting 1 pint in the oil and 1 pint in the gas. Kreen has now been in for 1000 miles and the vehicle smokes just as bad as it did in the first place.

However, at about 240 miles in, it stopped smoking completely at startup until the first tank with the Kreen was used up. The second I filled the tank up, the problem came right back.

I can't think for the life of me what might have happened when I stopped using Kreen in the gas...how is possible that the problem came back like the flip of a switch?

Seems to defy common sense. BTW....the consensus is that the problem is far more likely to be rings than valve seals or seats even though it just puffs on startup based upon the boxer engine layout. Remember the cylinders sit sideways.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You just missed a good advice from fellow Arcographite. You should had "listened".

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Miles? I would just run a couple short OCi with aggressive oils like Castrol edge with syntec. You can just add some AC compressor oil (hydrocarbon Ester) and a couple tbsp kerosene or lamp oil to you fav oil.

You need to clean the second rings of your pistons, some may be stuck. I would suggest to add a water ingestion treatment, google "tap water to clean piston rings", also.

Last edited:
I should have listened LOL! I came back for clarification and so did a few other people but he never responded.

So what happened with the KREEN? Why did it stop the smoking only as long as it was in the fuel tank?

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Sounds like normal results, with Motor rebuild in a Can.

I thought that motor repair in a can worked in this subforum.

It is not a "rebuilder" ie Restore, Motor honey etc. It is a cleaner.

Last edited:
Addiction with drawls?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Addiction with drawls?
wink.gif

Now that is a good one considering no one has a better answer.
grin.gif

^^^Exactly. Lots of opinions.

As for kreen's effectiveness the very nature of the product virtually guarantees a failure in many cases.

We have used it with great success here, typically in a vehicle with high miles that smokes and consumes oil. Sometimes it is nearly miraculous, reducing or even eliminating smoke and severely curtailing oil consumption. But sometimes the engine is simply too far gone and no product will "fix" it.

The OP can simply contact Kano labs and his money will be promptly refunded. They've been in biz since 1939, and they are a fantastic company with terrific products...

Originally Posted By: dx92beater
Addiction with drawls?
wink.gif

grin.gif

LOL Note with drawls, not withdrawals................. Engines are different.

I should have listened LOL! I came back for clarification and so did a few other people but he never responded.

So what happened with the KREEN? Why did it stop the smoking only as long as it was in the fuel tank?

Sorry 162k. What do you mean by "agressive". Sorry, I have never done any homeowork on Castrol Edge. Never had the need to. I have heard great things about Castrol Edge and this motor though, but no one has ever expanded as to why.

Is it a good HM oil? The 0w part concerns me as well. Wouldn't that be even thinner at startup than my Rotella T-6?

I have also never done any homework on the additives that you suggested.

Finally, I don't get the part about lower OCI's....would that be to clean things up? This [censored] is almost self changing at this point!
eek.gif

Thanks!!

Miles? I would just run a couple short OCi with aggressive oils like Castrol edge with syntec. You can just add some AC compressor oil (hydrocarbon Ester) and a couple tbsp kerosene or lamp oil to you fav oil.

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting, just telling my facts.
I cleaned a neglected EJ subaru engine with a 0wXX fully syn from ELF, witch I added powdered graphite. After that Oci, I used to add jet engine oil at 15% ratio to further the cleaning. Added Triethylene Tetramine (araldite professional curing agent) to my engine oil 10grams pr liter and fuel 5 grams per 50 liters. Got 2 oil filters with a lots of sludge and dirt. The engine got cleaned even at ring pack. The thinner and jet oils with pea helps with the carbon solubility, the graphite make the finer carbon dissolved run to the strong magnet in the filter and than migrated and stored to the filter media. Tap water on intake at highway runs (from the wiper washer hose attached in the manifold ports niple. No more smoke puffs. You can also try the subaru intake foam, but it doesn't worked as good to me. The engine got stronger and I abused a little more...
Just saying.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
coincidence

Bollocks

Two equally valid opinions.

Not really, I added TCW-3 based on another pm suggestion here and the engine once again stopped smoking for a few days at startup but the issue returned.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^Exactly. Lots of opinions.

As for kreen's effectiveness the very nature of the product virtually guarantees a failure in many cases.

We have used it with great success here, typically in a vehicle with high miles that smokes and consumes oil. Sometimes it is nearly miraculous, reducing or even eliminating smoke and severely curtailing oil consumption. But sometimes the engine is simply too far gone and no product will "fix" it.

The OP can simply contact Kano labs and his money will be promptly refunded. They've been in biz since 1939, and they are a fantastic company with terrific products...

This really is out of scope. I am advising that the product actually DID something but only when applied to the fuel side. The problem is obviously relieved (even if temporarily) by applying the product on the fuel side.

I am not discrediting the product, just wondering what to do next. Based on another recommendation, I am running TCW-3 on the fuel side and it immediately stopped the smoking at startup....but a few days later it is back.

I don't want my money back from Kano Labs, the product has made *some* headway.

Addiction with drawls?
wink.gif

grin.gif

LOL Note with drawls, not withdrawals................. Engines are different.

Lol, I knew what you were talking about.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini

Sorry 162k. What do you mean by "agressive". Sorry, I have never done any homeowork on Castrol Edge. Never had the need to. I have heard great things about Castrol Edge and this motor though, but no one has ever expanded as to why.

Is it a good HM oil? The 0w part concerns me as well. Wouldn't that be even thinner at startup than my Rotella T-6?

I have also never done any homework on the additives that you suggested.

Finally, I don't get the part about lower OCI's....would that be to clean things up? This [censored] is almost self changing at this point!
eek.gif

Thanks!!

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting, just telling my facts.
I cleaned a neglected EJ subaru engine with a 0wXX fully syn from ELF, witch I added powdered graphite. After that Oci, I used to add jet engine oil at 15% ratio to further the cleaning. Added Triethylene Tetramine (araldite professional curing agent) to my engine oil 10grams pr liter and fuel 5 grams per 50 liters. Got 2 oil filters with a lots of sludge and dirt. The engine got cleaned even at ring pack. The thinner and jet oils with pea helps with the carbon solubility, the graphite make the finer carbon dissolved run to the strong magnet in the filter and than migrated and stored to the filter media. Tap water on intake at highway runs (from the wiper washer hose attached in the manifold ports niple. No more smoke puffs. You can also try the subaru intake foam, but it doesn't worked as good to me. The engine got stronger and I abused a little more...
Just saying.

I am sure that you mean well, and although your English is pretty good it doesn't seem to be your first language and I can't tell where you are going with your posts. There is no continuity whatsoever and your post is overloaded with acronyms forcing me to google everything at times to no avail.

First you attack me for not understanding what others did not understand, then you repost what was initially posted.

So, in summary it is coming down to this. Kreen on the fuel side stopped the blue plume of smoke at startup but when the tank ran empty and all the Kreen came back the problem returned.

Another poster pm'd me and suggested that I use TCW-3 as a cost effective alternative and that poster was right. The vehicle once again stopped smoking when the TCW-3 was added to the fuel side, but it started smoking again after a few days.

Just wondering what is up with that in general is all?

There is a pattern to this or I wouldn't have bothered to post. I am posting here as to not overload the folks who pm'd me to give me a hand in the first place.

Thank you.

but when the tank ran empty and all the Kreen came back left with it the problem returned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back