Switching to a k&n

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
You can re-route the stock filter inlet to a cool air region and get the best of both worlds.
That's what I did on my Matrix, so instead of getting air from the engine compartment it draws air from behind the front bumper.

Funny, my FXT draws air from the grill and the cold air intake kits I have seen for it end up drawing it from the engine compartment!
They add a little box to construct around the intake and claim that keeps the air it draws in cooler...

You can re-route the stock filter inlet to a cool air region and get the best of both worlds.
That's what I did on my Matrix, so instead of getting air from the engine compartment it draws air from behind the front bumper.

Most modern air intake systems do this already. I know for a fact that the intake/filter box in both my 2010 Fusion, and my previous daily driver (a 2003 Mercury Sable LS) had a snorkel that ran from the filter box housing down into the driver's side fender well, drawing in cold air from the driver front wheel well. This is about as cold as you're going to get without drawing from either a hood scoop, or an exterior body scoop of some sort.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Most modern air intake systems do this already.

Unfortunately my Matrix (and presumably Corollas of that generation) place the stock snorkle between the battery and radiator.
It's somewhat away from the engine but it still gets air that has come through the radiator.
I used an OBD scanner to confirm the modified intake air is cooler, especially in stop-and-go traffic.

I put a K&N in my Buick Regal because mice chewed up and made a nest out of the last 2 paper filters. The mice can't chew up the metal of the K&N. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: tyrannosaurusrex8888
I put a K&N in my Buick Regal because mice chewed up and made a nest out of the last 2 paper filters. The mice can't chew up the metal of the K&N. Problem solved.

Only to create a new one.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: duckboy55
I have a Spectre Cold Air Intake with a K&N filter on it. there is not much difference but a slight one is noticiable.
- 2006 GMC Sierra Denali 6.0 L v8

LOL! I have the exact truck and I also put the Spectre on it last year. I don't notice any difference but I love the sound and that's all I really bought it for was the sound.

Our intakes are only +- 12" long from the factory. Can't be any better than that

K$N made sense 20-30 years ago when the air intake was mounted inside the engine compartment on top of a hot engine. Made sense when a car was designed on paper and possibly had a restriction. Not now. Modern cars are computer created and tested before they are even built. Perfect harmony of intake and exhaust flow for maximum HP. K$N wants you to take a step back in time. And likely HP. Especially your engine The smaller the displacement, the less chance you can "suck" your way to more HP. You would have to increase PSI. At 100mph you may ram an extra 1/2hp into the cylinder. You have to cram it in with a turbo. Or open up the exhaust so a piston stroke gets rid of more combusted air, can draw in more oxygen.

Should keep leaves and large bugs out. Held one up to the light at WM this morning and could see right through it. Not on my engine.

I have 199,000 on one k&n and have cleaned it twice. Seems to work well if you understand that it filters better the dirtier it gets.

And once it has caught enough dirt to filter well does it still have better flow than a standard filter?

Nope
wink.gif

If one wants increased air volume and filtrating capacity the only real improvement from OEM will be something like a Donaldson PowerCore, which would be difficult to fit in many (most?) engine bays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back