Oil Filture failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
That filter looks OLD.. not only that, but it looks like it was left exposed to the elements for an extended period of time - possibly years. Either it was on the car MUCH longer than was represented to you, or it was in extremely poor condition before it was ever mounted to the car.

One additional observation - That filter says it was made in Mexico.. Now I could be wrong, but I don't think K&N has made filters in Mexico for some time.

Great post and sorry to hear the driver missed the low oil pressure warning.

Good luck with your case against K&N!

Next time I would try the following:

1/ OEM or German made oil filters.
2/ 2 year max FCI.
3/ A warning buzzer or bell across the oil pressure light.
4/ Half a can of LM Ceratec every OCI (More time before failure from low oil pressure).

Filters I ordered (online) two years ago were hecho en Mexico. All 3 that I pulled had light rust around the nut in just 6 months.
I park in moist winds off the bay about a week total in that period - so that does not compare to sloshing in salty snow up north.
That was the end of K&N for me ...

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
If that's the inside of the dome pictured and the filter cut open now, any redress that 'might' have been available from K&N is now very likely gone. That's assuming it could/would have been determined to be the cause of the stated engine failure.

While filter manufacture date not exactly old, not exactly new either. Wondering what kind of storage environment it had prior to installation.

They'll probably do nothing since the filter was cut open, even though we know better. Hopefully there's proof that the filter was purchased within the last year, and the owner of the car is up for a good battle. It looks like their oil filters are as lousy as their air filters. I'll be sure never to use one.

OP thanks for the information. Keep us updated on the outcome.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If that's the inside of the dome pictured and the filter cut open now, any redress that 'might' have been available from K&N is now very likely gone. That's assuming it could/would have been determined to be the cause of the stated engine failure.

While filter manufacture date not exactly old, not exactly new either. Wondering what kind of storage environment it had prior to installation.

They'll probably do nothing since the filter was cut open, even though we know better....

Yes, the Fram rep commenting in this forum last year said quoting, "ALL oil filter companies with no exceptions will not warranty a cut open filter as it cannot be tested at all." Still worth a shot I suppose, but have an out based on that.

I interpreted from reading that the filter was installed in April, that being the case winter road salt 'shouldn't' be a factor. Why I asked about prior storage of the made in 2012 (according to date code) filter prior to installation. 'If' it was in pristine condition on installation, sure is extreme rusting for a filter seeing only normal summer driving use.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think someone is mistaken about the install date.

That filter was left on an engine for a very long time. I've seen something similar here in the salty/rusty Midwest. It takes years but it can happen.

Notice how it has rusted underneath the paint, that takes some time. No way in heck it was installed in April.

Unacceptable for a premium, $15 oil filter. The funny part is, I currently have one on my Mazda 3. I've been strictly using the OEM filters for 40k miles but last oil change decided to try something different and went for the K&N. I was planning to run it 2x intervals to get my money's worth out of it. Will probably trash it during the next OC.

Yes, the Fram rep commenting in this forum last year said quoting, "ALL oil filter companies with no exceptions will not warranty a cut open filter as it cannot be tested at all." Still worth a shot I suppose, but have an out based on that.

The filter company doesn't have the last word on honoring warranties. That's a court's job.

^^^^Good luck with that. Very deep pockets required. As for direct quote regarding filter warranty denial, take it up with Fram filter representative.

Overpriced and way overrated.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
frown.gif

+1. For that price I'd be running Royal Purple or Amsoil oil filters!

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
frown.gif

+1. For that price I'd be running Royal Purple or Amsoil oil filters!

Or OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back