Gm dexos 1 spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

I am convinced it is more about GM just trying to get owners to use a quality oil and not throw in some 98 cent a qt whale snot.

I'd expect whale snot would be quite expensive.You might have to buy it from a Japanese pirate.

one-piece.jpg

I think so too - you have to fool proof some things these days and a 5w hits so much area year round . I run 10w in two of my 5w vehicles if staying south. As for GM specs - couple questions: where did Dex VI ATF come from and who else lets you use Dex VI ? .. Perhaps these car companies could cooperate a bit more ...

It really doesn't make a lot of sense to have a different spec for every OEM out there. They are not that diverse in what they make or the base materials they make them from. Heavy commercial truck OEM's take a more realistic approach.... they may have their own alphabet soup of a oil spec, like Detroit 93K218 or Cummins CES 20081 or Volvo VDS-4, then they come right back on the same page and all agree that API CJ-4 is appropriate. They even allow a wide range of choices like 5w30, 10w30, 15w40, and 5w40 for their engines used in similar working applications. Two heavy trucks side by side, doing the same work, one using a 10w30 and other a 15w40, and both doing fine. And this is on engines that will be worked hard their life and be expected to go well into hundreds of thousands of miles or nearly 40,000 hours without a major repair. They all have their unique "approved oil" listings, but I have yet to see a heavy commercial OEM deny a warranty over what oil was being used in the rare case of an engine failure under warranty. That on engines that cost as much or more than most folk's personal vehicle.

It is because of my many years of experience with commercial engines that I waste so little time on whether I use only an oil that on some anal retentive auto OEM's "official approved list". I just select a quality oil that meets the latest API and ILSAC specs, of a syn blend or better that is a good value and call it a day. Since owning my first vehicle, a 1966 Chevy C-10 in 1970, I have never lost an engine or had a major failure that can attributed directly to oil. Both personal and commercial versions.

+1 ^

Agree completely TT. Only reason I've got dexos 1 oil in my Sierra 1500 right now is because Walmart rolled back the prices on Castrol Edge a while back, and I had a coupon to go with it. About $12 for 5 qts of good synthetic oil. After the next oil change, that's it. Scored four cases of Kendall GT-1 full syn for a little over $3/qt. Not marked as dexos 1 approved. Wasn't worried at all. For curiosity I emailed Kendall to see if the GT-1 full syn could meet dexos 1 standards. Was told use with confidence.

During warmup usually a 5w30 has less endofriction than a 10w30, colaborating to fuel economy when the engine oil is cold and thick even in FL or TX? Dexos 1 focus also on fuel economy by friction modification (less wear too) and lower w viscosity for startup and warming up phase.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hammehead
During warmup usually a 5w30 has less endofriction than a 10w30, colaborating to fuel economy when the engine oil is cold and thick even in FL or TX? Dexos 1 focus also on fuel economy by friction modification (less wear too) and lower w viscosity for startup and warming up phase.

So we know you as a previous Bitog member, right?

Help me out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back