Tire questions, replacement and CS5 vs RT43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace tires on a '08 Toyota Sienna, should I go with Cooper CS5 or General Altimax RT43? I can get either or for about $500 before install (balance / changeover).

Another question is, when should I replace tires on my '10 Dodge Ram 3500? Right now I got 285/65R20 BFG T/A KO first gens on them. Tires are reading 5/32 and 6/32 on front and 7/32 and 8/32 on the rears.

Leaning towards Toyo C/T 35-12.50R20s for future replacement.

Whichever is cheaper. Are the rebates going on in Canada, too?

How long did it take you to wear the tires that much on the Ram? 2/32 is when they're legally worn. The best time to replace is black friday when they have the crazy sales.

Not exactly a rebate. My diesel performance shop can get tires through a tire distributor so I can get tires for under retail. I bought the tires and rims used. But I've put about 10K KM on them in 4.5 months. Back then they had about 10/32 and 8/32. I'm just hoping its enough rubber to hold me over until spring. If not I can sell them locally. If I were to buy the Toyo CT over the counter I think I would be paying about $100 more per tire.

If you plan on driving the ram in inclement winter weather you might want fresh rubber.. alot cheaper than the alternative. Generally speaking you want 6/32" or more tread depth for snow. at 4/32 the traction will be significantly decreased.

For the Minivan, both are excellent tires There are however about 4 models of CS5
Are you talking grand touring or ultra touring?

The rt43 is also an excellent tire.. better in winter than the cs5 ultra.. not sure about the cs5 grand touring.

I'd probably go with the RT43 if its the same price or cheaper.

Not sure which CS5 but I might as well get the RT43s then. Forgot to mention tire date stamp on the BFGs are 10th week of 2014.

The Generals appear to do a little better in the snow if your area of BC sees a lot of it.
Other that that, I'd buy either.
I've had good experience with both brands and would use either.
I just put a set of CS4s on the BMW and the E350 and Legacy are riding on Generals.
Never had any problems with either brand of tire.
Back in the day, I was a tire snob and only bought Michelin.
I've since come to realize that there are many other brands that will work well and deliver lower cost per mile of use.

On average the difference I have seen is the CS5 Ultras are more quiet and handle a little better than the RT43s.

The RT43s are better at snow and heavy rain but will make more road noise if not rotated properly.

They are both great tires and I have out both on family members cars.

The CS5 Ultra Touring tires are pretty darned nice in dry and wet weather. They ride well, handle better than I care to do, and are pretty quiet. The jury is out on their snow performance, which is something I hope never to test.

Will the van use these tires in the snow? RT43s are supposed to be good in the snow.

But if you want it to handle nicely get the CS5 Ultra Tourings. I had a set put on my grandmother's 2014 Grand Caravan in June. Drives nice.

RT43s are mushy as far as handling. But good enough I guess.

Originally Posted By: Rand
If you plan on driving the ram in inclement winter weather you might want fresh rubber.. alot cheaper than the alternative. Generally speaking you want 6/32" or more tread depth for snow. at 4/32 the traction will be significantly decreased.

For the Minivan, both are excellent tires There are however about 4 models of CS5
Are you talking grand touring or ultra touring?

The rt43 is also an excellent tire.. better in winter than the cs5 ultra.. not sure about the cs5 grand touring.

I'd probably go with the RT43 if its the same price or cheaper.

Just TWO models of CS5 - you named them: Ultra and Grand Touring. Ultra is higher speed rated and has a slightly lower tread mileage warranty than the Grand Touring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back