Talk me out of Redline 5w-30 in my N55

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I can't seem to easily find PP 5w-40 in the local auto stores any more, and its not clear to me if its always included in the specials they have anyway.

Sure, Amazon carries it, and with subscribe and save, the pricing is OK.

Redline is always expensive, but has a ton of Moly, is an ester based lube which Id think would be good for DI, and has low NOACK.

It claims to be ok for BMW LL-01, not that it carries an actual approval.

Its a few $ more / qt than the Pennzoil. But its easy to get from lots of places.

Why wouldn't I want to run it in my low mileage 135i (N55)?

Redline might have a lot of moly, but I suspect the large non-boutique synthetics may have new organic additives that don't show up in VOA's...

Originally Posted By: CT8
You seem to not care for Redline in some of your postings.

Not for MTF or differential fluid merely because of real life experiences taming a noisy diff and an old MT in freezing weather. Other fluids just did better. I don't see how those practical real life experiences are salient to discussion of their motor oil. There is no fanboi baseless claims in my experiences.

I do run their fuel adds amongst other things...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Redline might have a lot of moly, but I suspect the large non-boutique synthetics may have new organic additives that don't show up in VOA's...

Since this is a hot running twin turbo DI application, I'm somewhat more worried about NOACK and avoiding valve deposits than magic chemistries... assuming the oils do have sufficient additization to support operations in modern oils and engines.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
In the Amsoil test of 5W30s, Redline had the highest CCS viscosity of the bunch and appeared to fail the TEOST ASTM D6335 test.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

Thanks, this is good and useful info. Though I have to wonder if the ester base has an effect in this result. That said, even still the number is really high and exactly what we don't want for valve deposits...

The TEOST test was brought up by buster in a multipage thread

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2995318/1

Around page 5 Redline actually responded with their explanation. wwilson engaged them and posted.

Quote:

All,

A comment from Cameron at Red Line:

"We have read through Amsoil’s latest document and found some of the results to be out of context to the product that we manufacture. Regarding the TEOST, it appears that the Amsoil test average was 1% above the limit. This limit is established for the low-phosphorous, Resource-conserving, SN-focused products. The non-resource conserving SN uses a different TEOST at a lower temperature which we pass, and for those CF/SN not controlled to a 0.08% phosphorous there is no limit on the TEOST. The TEOST has a plus or minus 10% repeatability.

The TEOST is primarily designed to evaluate low-phosphorous oils. We use an additive chemistry so that keeps Red Line as a product for both API-based and ACEA performance and ACEA do not use the TEOST test. Needless to say, the high number of European cars with turbochargers successfully running lubricants produced to the ACEA standards should calm any concerns voiced in this thread.

This test is difficult to apply when considering higher ZDDP oils like Red Line versus lower ZDDP oils so we can see where confusion would be created by what Amsoil tries to present here.

Hopefully this helps for you to have more insight from our end. We like your forum and appreciate the technical banter. Thanks for letting Red Line present a view that was not covered in your thread. If you have particular questions, feel free to email to [email protected] rather than asking for Red Line replies through the forum thread."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I can't seem to easily find PP 5w-40 in the local auto stores any more, and its not clear to me if its always included in the specials they have anyway.

Redline is always expensive, but has a ton of Moly, is an ester based lube which Id think would be good for DI, and has low NOACK.

Its a few $ more / qt than the Pennzoil. But its easy to get from lots of places.

You cannot find Castrol 0W40 in local Wal Mart?
If you cannot find Castrol 0W40, then yeah, why not, try it, do UOA, let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
IMO For cost,protection, and performance I'd go with QSUD.

Are you joking or just have no clue what N55 is?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

If you cannot find Castrol 0W40, then yeah, why not, try it, do UOA, let us know how it goes.

Where did I make any mention of Castrol 0w-40? So why did you bring it into the conversation? Im truly curious if there is a reason I dont know upfront.

I mentioned PU 5w-40, because it is a GTL with a very low NOACK (~7%, IIRC). Redline is 6-7% NOACK as well. From what Ive seen, the castrol you mention is 9.1% or so.

So what am I missing as to why Id want to go this route?

Where did I make any mention of Castrol 0w-40? So why did you bring it into the conversation? Im truly curious if there is a reason I dont know upfront.

I mentioned PU 5w-40, because it is a GTL with a very low NOACK (~7%, IIRC). Redline is 6-7% NOACK as well. From what Ive seen, the castrol you mention is 9.1% or so.

OK, I am mentioning it bcs. it is LL-01 approaved.
As for NOACK, 6.8% was NOACK on first version of Pennzoil Ultra with GTL, the one with HTHS of 3.88cp. This version that has HTHS of 3.6cp, I have not seen NOACK number yet, on Pennzoil or Shell Ultra 5W40. So, if NOACK is primary concern, and Castrol's NOACK is too high for you, then why not BMW OEM 5W30? It is safe to assume it is same base as Pennzoil Platinum 5W40, so it is safe to assume that it has NOACK lower then PP 5W40. On other hand, wait 01/01/2017 when U.S. moves to ULSG and use Mobil1 5W30 ESP since NOACK is 5.6%.
As for Castrol, I mentioned it because it is LL-01, it has really good HTHS of 3.7, it has really good cold performance. Castrol 0W30? NOACK is 8.1%. I tend to trust PAO more then GTL, but I thought you just asking alternatives, not thinking you are set on ONLY those two oils.
Like I said, use RL, do UOA and let us know!

Last edited:

The regular RL 5w30 or the RL Euro 5w30?

Originally Posted By: BobFout

The regular RL 5w30 or the RL Euro 5w30?

Regular would be choice I guess.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Because Castrol 0W-40 is actually an LL-01 approved oil?

Ive run BMW LL-01 oils since new. Mostly BMW OE oil, and some Pennzoil Platinum 5w-40.

Im not looking for LL-01 right now, and my OCIs are absolutely time based, not mileage... Im looking for low NOACK and an optimum oil for a DI engine in a twin turbo design that is known for high oil temperatures in routine operation.

OK, I am mentioning it bcs. it is LL-01 approaved.
As for NOACK, 6.8% was NOACK on first version of Pennzoil Ultra with GTL, the one with HTHS of 3.88cp. This version that has HTHS of 3.6cp, I have not seen NOACK number yet, on Pennzoil or Shell Ultra 5W40. So, if NOACK is primary concern, and Castrol's NOACK is too high for you, then why not BMW OEM 5W30? It is safe to assume it is same base as Pennzoil Platinum 5W40, so it is safe to assume that it has NOACK lower then PP 5W40. On other hand, wait 01/01/2017 when U.S. moves to ULSG and use Mobil1 5W30 ESP since NOACK is 5.6%.
As for Castrol, I mentioned it because it is LL-01, it has really good HTHS of 3.7, it has really good cold performance. Castrol 0W30? NOACK is 8.1%. I tend to trust PAO more then GTL, but I thought you just asking alternatives, not thinking you are set on ONLY those two oils.
Like I said, use RL, do UOA and let us know!

Thanks for the info.

I was an original user of M1 5w-30 ESP in non-diesel, non DI gasser applications. Its $$$ and not that easy to find either (which is why Redline is on the radar at all, because of the cost of the other semi-OTS oils). That's not a bad thought in the long run... Especially since Im fairly familiar with how TBN depletes in that oil.

Im not opposed to the Castrol, and yes, it has great cold properties and HTHS. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back