Pinky the Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I'm probably lucky I didn't catch fleas...

Yes, that was exactly what I was thinking while reading your post. Years ago when my daughters were young we had a friendly stray cat hanging around our neighborhood. My daughters felt sorry for it and brought it into the house on occasion to feed and pet it. About a week later our dog started to incessantly scratch, and when we took him to the vet for a suspected skin issue we found out he had fleas.

If you've never had to eradicate a flea infestation in your house, I can tell you it isn't easy nor pleasant.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I'm probably lucky I didn't catch fleas...

Yes, that was exactly what I was thinking while reading your post. Years ago when my daughters were young we had a friendly stray cat hanging around our neighborhood. My daughters felt sorry for it and brought it into the house on occasion to feed and pet it. About a week later our dog started to incessantly scratch, and when we took him to the vet for a suspected skin issue we found out he had fleas.

If you've never had to eradicate a flea infestation in your house, I can tell you it isn't easy nor pleasant.

If my apartment had gotten infested, I probably would have just quietly moved elsewhere... ;^)

I probably wouldn't feed a stray like that anymore unless I planned to take it to the vet...I also fed an adult stray at one of my dorms that was very wary at first, but warmed up to me quickly and snuggled up with me to take a nap after I fed it one night. After a couple of minutes, "fleas" flashed through my mind and that cat was politely but hurriedly ushered out my door...it was probably wondering what it had done wrong.

We only let our cats outside on occasion now (and then on leashes...yeah, I know that is pretty funny) for a number of reasons, with one of them being the thought that they might bring parasites back in. We have given one of them the flea/tick repellent you dab at the back of the neck, but it seemed to be kind of sick for a few days afterwards...it's easier all around to just have them be indoor cats, and they seem happy enough.
Just caught a neighbor's cat doing its business in the sand around our playset last night...thanks, neighbors! The wild animals generally stay away from the house and yard...one of our neighbors actually has a trapper come in to catch fishers from the woods because they were eating their outdoor cats. I say leave the fishers alone and keep the cats inside, the weasels belong there and those felines don't. Let nature be natural AMAP!!!!!

If my apartment had gotten infested, I probably would have just quietly moved elsewhere... ;^)

Well you would have taken them with you because you, your clothes and everything you own also gets infested. When you bomb the house with the insecticide you have to leave all the doors open including the closets. In essence you need everything to be bathed in the poison. It's a bit weird.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Well you would have taken them with you because you, your clothes and everything you own also gets infested. When you bomb the house with the insecticide you have to leave all the doors open including the closets. In essence you need everything to be bathed in the poison. It's a bit weird.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that is a massive problem to deal with...I am kind of surprised that I didn't get fleas from those kittens.
Maybe it was because I ate lots of Indian food back then, at least twice a week...people always told me the bugs tend to stay away if you have all of those sharp spices oozing out of your pores. No idea if there's anything to it...

Originally Posted By: paulri
Somebody tell me that I'm not the only one who laughed hard at the end.

You are not the only one!!!!there are a lot of us)))
grin.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh, laugh, laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back