Well I didn't expect that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a part time job delivering roof trusses with an 18 wheeler. Pretty big trusses!

Went to drop them off tonight. No way could i get the truck onto the lot! Basically a house pad on top of a hill and no room to get the truck and trailer up there.

Only option was to drop them on the road. The trailer is a roll off.has hotdogs that allow the load to roll off onto the ground.

So I unstrapped the trusses,released the rollers and off they went! Guess the slope was pretty steep because the trusses slid off and spread out like a deck of cards thrown on a table.

Must have been 300 ft of trusses down the dirt road!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I picked up a part time job delivering roof trusses with an 18 wheeler. Pretty big trusses!

Went to drop them off tonight. No way could i get the truck onto the lot! Basically a house pad on top of a hill and no room to get the truck and trailer up there.

Only option was to drop them on the road. The trailer is a roll off.has hotdogs that allow the load to roll off onto the ground.

So I unstrapped the trusses,released the rollers and off they went! Guess the slope was pretty steep because the trusses slid off and spread out like a deck of cards thrown on a table.

Must have been 300 ft of trusses down the dirt road!

You know, you very well could lose the new job for that. The contractor is going to be ticked. Did you call the office and see if they could reach the contractor to see what to do? Trusses are $$$ and also hard to move( the larger ones anyway ). If any were damaged the contractor is going to expect replacements at no charge.

I actually worked new home construction before I got sick and had some driver's do similar things. It never went well for them. I understand the movement restriction on the lot but to just dump them along the road and leave is well...wow???

Not meant to be a jerk at all( seems like all I do is post negative lately but I don't mean to be a BITOG Grouch ). Just speaking with experience on this. I will be curious to see if you catch heck for doing that? I know my Brother and I( we were the contractors )wouldn't buy from your company again if that is how stuff is handled.

Now, if you were told to just dump them by the contractor then please ignore all above.

Last edited:
He was right there along with 5 guys ready to move them.it was his idea and the only option.none were damaged. I called my boss and he laughed.asked me if they looked like a deck of cards sliding off. I told them it would be better to drop them 1/4 mile away where it was flatter but he wanted them close to the house

Last edited:
He was right there along with 5 guys ready to move them.it was his idea and the only option.none were damaged. I called my boss and he laughed.asked me if they looked like a deck of cards sliding off. I told them it would be better to drop them 1/4 mile away where it was flatter but he wanted them close to the house

Cool.

Again I wasn't trying to be a tool but the way it came across I was stunned. Seemed like you decided on your own and just dumped them. The extra info makes more sense.

I have seen the trusses do the card thing. It was when a guy on the job site backed into a stack of them and sent them flying. Yup, looked like a deck of cards fell.

Just getting to this job was a job in its self. I had to take 5 runs to get up a sandy hill for starters. Then some corners were so sharp it had to drag the trailer through bushes.It's going to be a nice place to put a house but tough to get to unless your in a Jeep.

Just getting to this job was a job in its self. I had to take 5 runs to get up a sandy hill for starters. Then some corners were so sharp it had to drag the trailer through bushes.It's going to be a nice place to put a house but tough to get to unless your in a Jeep.

Most of my job sites were in the mountains and lakes region of NH so been there and done that a LOT!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Ha Ha that must have been a sight.

+1
Yes, please share a pic...

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Most of my job sites were in the mountains and lakes region of NH so been there and done that a LOT!
crackmeup2.gif

I've seen a few houses go in locally, and the driveway must be a 45 degree angle. Dirt driveway no less. I'm sure it's nice looking and all, but geez, talk about lousy access.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

crackmeup2.gif

I've seen a few houses go in locally, and the driveway must be a 45 degree angle. Dirt driveway no less. I'm sure it's nice looking and all, but geez, talk about lousy access.

Don't forget plowing/driving on those crazy steep and winding driveways in the winter. I wonder just what people are thinking sometimes. So desperate for a house in the country or something they buy the 1st lot they find it seems.

My Brother plows and occasionally I ride with him for company in really bad storms as he tries to keep up with it during the night. Those are some long nights let me tell you. He has a couple on his route that make me clinch so tight while he is plowing you couldn't squeeze a greased BB up my butt! One in particular we sort of pause and gather ourselves before we start. If I were the one doing the plowing I would tell the person to get someone else. Can't count the number of times we have gone on a "ride" during plowing on those driveways. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.
crazy2.gif

I should ask a friend of mine, he has a nasty driveway. Nice house, nice location--but the land rises too fast and thus the driveway is nasty. I'm not sure if he bought and then built; or bought the house after it was built. I do know he has thought of moving of late, and I think the driveway is part of the reason.

I should ask a friend of mine, he has a nasty driveway. Nice house, nice location--but the land rises too fast and thus the driveway is nasty. I'm not sure if he bought and then built; or bought the house after it was built. I do know he has thought of moving of late, and I think the driveway is part of the reason.

Bah, nothing a D8 couldn't fix.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

Bah, nothing a D8 couldn't fix.
grin.gif

Actually, it wouldn't, as the driveway is like 200' long, and the house is at the top of the driveway. I guess it could be graded just slightly different, as it levels off and turns a bit at the top, but still.

I had my car slide down his driveway once, despite snow tires, as I didn't hit it with enough momentum--my friends with a/s on their AWD's had no issue, but my Jetta lost traction going up hill and that was that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back